Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Fall 2012 Trend Preview

It seems like I do the Trend Preview the fall season earlier every single year, I started out doing it after the Fourth of the July and then it just started moving up earlier and earlier.  Last year was the first time that I did it in June but I waited until the very end of the month to release.  I typically wait to do the Trend Preview until I have found at least one or two fo the new seasonal collections up for order, this year the Too Faced fall collection is already on the website and has been since last week so I decided to start moving ahead with my fall coverage.  My memory is telling me that Too Faced was the first company last summer to release their fall collection and moved up my fall coverage.  Gues history will repeat itself again this year...
As I type this, I am fully enjoying the delights of the summer, watching baseball (oh my poor Phillies!) and eating Skinny Cow ice cream and looking forward to having some fun over the Fourth of July and Bastile Day!  I have finished all of my summer beauty shopping last month and have no plans to pick up any other products unless they are shades that I can easily take right into the fall months.  I bought so many new beauty products for the spring and summer that I will have lots of items to use all summer long and there is nothing else that I will need for the current season.  I believe that most beauty bloggers and major beauty shoppers tend to follow the same types of patterns that I do and are already beginning to plot out their fall makeup look.

Allure magazine has the best and earliest coverage of the fall and spring trends in their magazine.  The Fall 2012 Trend Report came out in the May issue of the magazine so I was able to scan it and begin getting ideas while I was still shopping for the summer months.  I was so excited when I read the article, the introduction of the article states that the biggest of the beauty trends on the runway were inspired by the role played by Rooney Mara in The Girl With Dragon Tattoo movie.  These are among my favorite books that I have ever read and I watched the movie more times than I can count when it was released on DVD last spring.  I take it that we will be seeing lots of bangs and dramatic makeup on the runways...

Here is the Fall Trend Report for Fall 2012 (all information pulled from the May 2012 issue of Allure)!

Extreme Hair - It's not often a simple hairstyle makes you feel tougher, walk taller, and want to carve corners on a motorcycle.  This season stylists came up with them in spades: Dragon Tattoo-girl bangs at Versace, stealth ponytails at Dior, and, at Prada, extensions you could imagine starring in a Tarantino movie.  Bold Bangs - At Versace, bangs were clipped in and cut short.  Then Guido misted the hair with dry shampoo to give it a matte finish.  "It looks cooler than if it were perfectly blown.", he said.  Splashes of Color - Inspired by Jean Paul Gaultier's graffiti-themed collection.  Guido tagged the roots with brightly colored dyes.  At Haider Ackermann, hairstylist Eugene Souleiman emptied cans of black spray over the models' messy chignons and topped them with bronze streaks.  Black, red, and platinum blonde extensions created the dip-dyed effect at Prada.  Extra Long - For the waist-grazing hair at Dior, hairstylist Orlando Pita warpped two-foot-long extenstions around the models' own ponytails and concealed the elastic with a few strands of hair.

Black Cherry Lips - "Dark and venomous" is how McGrath described the saturated red mouths at Gucci.  She wasn't kidding - nor was she the only makeup artist feeling a little sangunie this season.  Considering the oxblood at Rochas and the vampy almost-black at Bottega Veneta, lips this season are carnivorously sexy.  Trick of the Trade - Dark red lips are striking on every skin tone; they only cross into horror-movie territory when they fade and feather.  To keep the color in place, use a red liner to trace just inside the perimeter of the mouth and fill lips before adding lipstick.

Inky Eyes - The toughest makeup look for fall doesn't require a steady hand - it barely requires a mirror.  "This eye is shocking and strong.", said Pat McGarth of the liner at Lanvin.  What you will need is the darkest black pigment you can find is the darkest black pigment you can find in cream or powder and a stiff brush to achieve just the right amount of drama.  Trick of the Trade - When applying a large amount of black shadow around your eyes, first outline the shape with a pencil, then top it with a powder or cream shadow.

Bright Matte Lips - If lips were bright, they were also matte - which only made the color appear more intense.  "When there is no sheen, all you see is pure pigment.", explained makeup artist Peter Philips, who painted lips a rose petal pink at Jil Sander.

All Knotted Up - Just how tightly wound do you plan to be this fall?  We're only asking because there was a knot for every attitude on the runways, from the hard-edged fetishistic chignons at Yves Saint Laurent to a so-loose-it's-about-to-slip loop at Michael Kors.  Trick of the Trade - To prevent too many flyaways, twist your ponytail and mist it with hair spray first, then wrap it into a bun.

Rainbow Shades - Designers went wild for pure, intense, bright eye shadow.  Practical, no.  But it made for some serious eye candy.  Trick of the Trade - Color all around the eyes looks cool on the runway, but for real life, keep it to just yout lids, and blend the edges.  Bonus trick: Add a strip of black liner to help temper the craziness of all that color.

(Very) Natural Hair - When hairstylists weren't going to extremes, they aimed for extremely natural.  "It's absolutely naked.", said Sam McKnight of the hair at Balmain, where he relied on little more than water to tame the models' own texture.  The waves at Proenza Schouler and Balenciaga required a quick wash - and plenty of time to air-dry.  Trick of the Trade - To create effortless-looking waves, twist sections of dry hair around your fingers, mist with hair spray, and blast with hot air.  Then rake it all out with your fingers.

Allover Color - An "apres-ski" flush is de rigueue at fall fashion shows.  But this season, makeup artist Dick Page really got the blood flowing, using red lipstick on both lips and cheeks, where he blended it all the way down to the jaw.  "This is more like apres-ski sex.", he said.  Trick of the Trade - With matchy-matchy makeup, skip the shimmer and anything too glossy.  A satin finish is the most flattering and sophisticated way to wear the trend.

Brow Couture - No one is suggesting you actually try this - in fact, please don't.  But it's the one look everyone is talking about: Chanel's sequin-and-stone brows.  The sparkly strips were handmade by Lesage, the couture embroidery house in Paris, and came in ten different colors; they took three hours to make and -we're guessing - at least that long to take off.

Hair Dressing - If your only hair accessory is a headband you keep by the sink, this season will inspire you.  There were jeweled headbands (Dolce and Gabbana); there were elaborate barrettes (Rodarte, Gucci, Rochas).  No matter what you choose, keep your hair out of your face - and use something pretty to do it.  Trick of the Trade - Tease your hair at the crown before slipping on your headband to keep it in place and prevent and schoolgirl connotations.

The hair trends aren't really doing much for me at the moment - the very short bangs will not work with my hair type, putting black spray all over my hair will not fly at my job, and a two foot long ponytail will not work for me.  The all-natural look is another one that won't work well either, my hair doesn't air dry well unless I spray wave spray in it and use product to scrunch it.  This is a look that I normally only do in the summer months, the "beach waves" look doesn't translate into the fall.  I am not quite sure what I will be doing with my hair yet for the fall season...

The makeup trends get me much more excited than the hair trends.  I love the look of red lips and I have a collection of shades and finishes that work in an situation and with any type of makeup look.  I have just added two more red shades to my collection over the last two months and I bet that I will be adding a few more over the next few months.  I am loving the matte neon lip look too, I have been playing with bright pink and magenta shades from NARS and I love that I can wear these shades all the way into the fall and winter months.  I have not been using deep eye makeup, especially black shades, since the end of winter and I am excited to try some new liners to change up my look for the fall.  The black eye makeup looks in the article are quite extreme so I will adapt the look to suit my personal style and tone down the amount of pigment that was used to create the runway looks.

The picture that I have added in with this post is a preview of the Chanel Fall 2012 makeup collection, I can see the sultry eye look in this picture and deep-toned nail shades.  My fall look will either be very dramatic eyes or lips and I can't wait to start adding more products and shades to my collection.  I have to say that I am most excited to see new collections from Chanel, NARS, Illamasqua, Butter London, and Bobbi Brown. 

Welcome to Fall 2012!

photo courtesy of bloggers.com

No comments: