Thursday, June 21, 2012

MAC Ruffian

MAC released the Electric Bright collection last week that was online only and this week they have released another online only collection.  I wonder if the traffic rate on their website is down compared to that of the stores or if they are now going to be making some products and shades in such limited amounts that they can't fully stock the stores and counters with them anymore.  Whatever the reasoning on the part of the company, the Ruffian collection for lips and nails will only be available on the website and the company has devoted a large area to both the collection products and the collaboration that went into this collection. 

I did a bit of background research on this collection before looking at the new products.  Ruffian is a New York-based fashion house, headed up by cult designers Brian Wolk and Claude Morais.  This design house showcases ready-to-wear collections with designs that are essential for women living in the city.  I looked at their Fall 2012 Collection and instantly fell in love with many of the tailored offerings for both day and night, my dream closet went down this runway and this could be a favorite brand of mine when I move into the city. 
The Ruffian collection consists only of products for the lips and nails, two of the easiest way to quickly change your look and take your makeup from day to night.  Only Lipstick is offered with this collection, three new shades that work well with any eye makeup look.  The nail product that is offered are easy-to-use fake press on nails to instantly update your look.  The sets are perfectly coordinated and will work well with summer looks and then all the way into the fall months.

The collaboration between MAC and Ruffian!

Lipstick - Three Lipsticks created in collaboration with New York design house Ruffian, inspired by their SS12 ready-to-wear collection.  Limited edition.
- Ruffian Naked - pale peachy nude (Matte), pair Ruffian Naked with the Spectator Manicure
- Ruffian Red - classic rich blue red (Matte), pair Ruffian Red with the Demoiselle Manicure
- Ruffian Gold - gold glitter metallic (Frost), pair Ruffian Gold with the Demilune Manicure

Press-On Manicure - Cult New York designers Brian Wolf and Claude Morais of Ruffian bring their signature swagger to to MAC with this exclusive press-on nail set.  Set contains 24 nails.  They can be shaped and painted over to further customize.  Safe on natural nails.  Easy to remove by gently peeling off from side for multiple use.  Limited edition.
- Spectator - cream with black half moon, black French Tip and black Ruffian ensignia (Creme)
- Demoiselle - Ruffian Red with white half moon and black French Tip (Creme)
- Demilune - matte black with chrome gold half moon (Matte)

I haven't done press-on nail sets in years!  In fact the last time that I used something like this was my Senior Prom, I wore the nails for one night and have never worn them again.  I'm not how I feel about the press-on nail concept but I do agree with MAC that they are "ready-to-wear" since doing designs like these on the nail would take quite a decent amount of time and talent and cannot be done when quickly changing your look from day to night.  I wouldn't want to have fake nails on all the time but I know that I could work with them for one night. 

Spectator is my favorite of the sets, the cream and black is a more subtle look than the other sets and the Ruffian ensignia is a design that I could never draw onto my own nails.  Demilune is a set that I would wear more in the fall months, I have never really worked with black nail polishes before and this would be a great temporary way to try the look out.  Both of those sets are shorter, square-shaped nails and would be easy to function in.  The Demoiselle nails are longer and more pointed, I have never gotten into the pointed nail look.  This set would be an easy way for me to try it but I have to decide how sold I am on the look before I order these nails.  Lipstick-wise, Ruffian Red is the only shade that I really like but I want to see swatches of it compared to other red MAC Lipsticks since I already own many of this company's reds.

I like the sets in this collection but I am a bit on fence about ordering more than one of them.  These are nail looks that I could never do quickly on my own but I would only wear this set once every few weeks and I don't know how much I really need to add these nails to my collection...

photo courtesy of MAC and Temptalia

No comments: