Thursday, June 7, 2012

MAC Casual Colour

My local MAC counter is still all about Hey, Sailor! and I am in love with many of the products that I bought the other week.  However this week, MAC has released two more summer colour collections that I need to check out and decide whether or not to add more products to my MAC collection.  The first of the two collections is named Casual Colour and this is the smaller of the two collections.  We will start with this collection today and then dive into the MAC and Beth Ditto collection tomorrow.  Casual Colour will receive less attention than the Beth Ditto collection, this collection is slightly less vibrant and is more focused on a new product that is made to color both lips and cheeks.

The overall description of the collection can be found on the MAC website.  "This is weekend chic, MAC style.  Mineralize Skinfinish, Studio Fix Mascara, Prep + Prime Highlighter, and new all-in-one Lip and Cheek Colour Pots.  Effortless and easy, this barely there formula feels like wearing nothing at all."  This new product looks very interesting and hopefully will be a formula that works well for me and I can incorporate a few of them into my makeup routine. 

Here is the Casual Colour Collection from MAC...

Studio Fix Lash - Innovative, mousse-like formula gives superior definition, volume, and lift by filling in sparse lashes for a dramatic effect.  New moulded brush prevents clumping.  Rich in pigments.  Long-wearing polymers quickly coat from root to tip.  Keeps lashes light, lifted, supple, and full.  No clumping.

Casual Colour - Versatile, lightweight all-in-one colour for cheeks and lips.  Creamy, super-blendable, barely there formula.  Contains Vitamin E to help keep skin and lips nourished.  Limited edition.
- Lazy Sunday - baby pink
- Keep It Loose - warm peach
- Relaxation - warm pink
- Have A Lovely Day! - neutral nude
- Weekend Getaway - cool rose
- Evening Stroll - violet cream
- Out For Fun - cool coral
- Keep It Casual - warm wine

Mineralize Skinfinish Natural - A luxurious domed face powder with minerals, slowly baked to provide a dimensional yet natural-matte finish.  Provides perfect low coverage.  Use to set and fix foundation or as a touch-up throughout the day.

Prep + Prime Highlighter - A pen-style highlighter that efficiently brings a soft sheer wash of colour to the skin.  With its precise application, adds radiance just where you want it.  Goes on smoothly for cushion-soft wear.  Use over makeup for highlights, touch-ups or under makeup to brighten and prime.
- Light Boost - soft yellow cream
- Bright Forecast - mid tone peachy coral

Nail Lacquer - Revolutionary new high gloss formula.  Three long-wearing formulas - Cream, Sheer, and Frosted.  Visibly different.  Provides no-streak/no-chip finish.  Contains conditioners and UV protection.  Go hi-lacquer!
- Delicate - pale sheer ballet pink
- Style Tip - soft pink nude
- Fiestaware - mid-tone orange coral
- Please Me - mid-tone warm pink

187 Duo Fibre Face Brush - A large full circular brush used for lightweight application and blending of face powder or pigments.  Use to create soft layers or add textures.  Made from a soft blend of goat and synthetic fibres.

I read a full review of the Casual Colour product on the Temptalia and Musings of a Muse website and have determined that this product performs better on the cheeks than on the lips.  This fact is actually what I was hoping for when I first saw the product, I have many great lip glosses but not near as many high quality cream blushes.  The finish dries to a soft cream with a slightly dewy finish, if you prefer a matte or shimmering cheek look than this product will not be what you are looking for.  Based on the above facts, I believe that this product will be better used by someone with normal to dry skin.  I could use this formula in the summer months, my cheeks are dry throughout the whole year but for some skin types, this product might be better suited to the fall and winter months.  This collection might have been better as a fall release...

I am certainly looking at adding a few of the Casual Colours to my makeup collection.  My favorite shade is the Weekend Getaway shade, the medium rose that will be flattering on both my tanned and pale skin.  Lazy Sunday and Relaxation are also on my shopping list, both pinks will be flattering on both cheeks and lips for me.  Those three Casual Colours are the only must haves for me in this collection, the mascara formula looks nice but I can get it all year long and therefore it takes a back burner to the Casual Colour pots.  I like the nail polish shades but MAC needs to improve the consistency of their polish formula before I buy anymore of their shades, none of the colors are unique and I can find them in brands with a much nicer formula.

I think that this is the easier of the two new collections to wear, I don't know why both collections were brought out at the same time since one collection also takes a back seat to the other.  The Casual Colour pots should be great sellers for this company, the shades are easy for many skintones to pull off and the formula seems easy to work with!

photo courtesy of MAC

No comments: