Friday, June 8, 2012

MAC and Beth Ditto Collection

The MAC and Beth Ditto collaboration is going to be the more talked about of the two collections, this collection became controversial as soon as the information on it was leaked to the media.  Opinions on Beth Ditto herself are very divided; some people worship and respect her as an advocate for both gays right and for a positive self image for larger women, other people disdain her proclaimation that she is "punk" and her overall stage look.  To tackle the tricky subject matter in this collection, I needed to do a little extra research and form my own opinion as to the singer herself and then the collaboration with MAC.

When I first read about this collection last spring, I had no idea who Beth Ditto even was and why so many debates were being sparked so quickly about this collaboration.  I can see that some people are put off by her appearance, in that her "look" is very extreme and she embraces bold colors and dramatic stylings.  When I found pictures of her online, I had a hard time understanding how some people didn't feel that she was a quality candiate for a makeup collection.  Her personal style is very much the image that MAC tends to cultivate and I could see this being a collection of strong, right-on-trend shades that will appeal to the fashion community.  I had to dive in a bit deeper to understand where all the controversy was coming from, I was hoping that her personal views on body image and her sexuality would not be creating the huge fuss that occured with the annoucement of this collection.  When I kept searching, I believe that I found why certain people where upset.  Ditto claims that she is "punk" and therefore doesn't wear deodorant or shave under her armpits (even though she takes the time to do full makeup every single day), leading some people to feel that she is not worthy of a collaboration with a major beauty brand like MAC. 

With everything that I read about her, I found very little on her actual music career.  I searched on ITunes and found the song "I Wrote the Book" and loaded it onto my account.  The song wasn't quite what I was expecting based on what I read of her, it is fun and bouncy and would be a great song to dance to.  If nothing else comes out of this collaboration, I did find a new song to sing all throughout the day...

The MAC website provides the following description of the collaboration.  "Beth Ditto, passionate provacateur of music and style, collaborates with MAC on a colour collection with shades ranging from tender to tart.  Candy-glossed pop mixed with polished punk sensibility.  Limited edition."  This collection focuses on bright lips and multiple eye liner looks (Ditto seems to be very fond of the cat eye look, based on many of the photos that I found of her when I was searching for information).
Here is the MAC and Beth Ditto collaboration!

Liquidlast Liner - A rich black colour liquid eye liner that combines long-lasting wear with a non-smudge, non-flake precision line.  Goes on effortlessly.  Applies with its own brush to draw a perfectly defined line.

Shade and Smoke Shadow/Liner - Premiering in this collection - a dual-ended pairing of Eye Shadow and Greasepaint Liner for the perfect smoky eye.
- Little Miss Moffet - true black liner/true white shadow
- Drag, Strip - smoky navy liner/pale blue shadow
- Beth Mask - reddish brown bronze liner/golden peach pink shadow
- Beth or Glory - deep brown liner/bright blue shadow

Zoom Lash Mascara - Major drama.  Lasts all day.  Creamy, velvety formula builds density and conditions.  Feels light, supple.  Ultra-sculpted brush has three-sided fibres to embrace and seaparate each lash, hugging every curve.  Coats in one stroke from root to tip.  No smudging.
- Blue Charge - deep navy blue
- Plum Reserve - light violet purple
- New Hue - blackened burgundy

Zoom Fast Black Lash - Deeply dark drama.  Same as Zoom Lash, but with carbon black pigment.  Saturates lashes with the richest black ever.  Creamy, velvety formula builds density and conditions.  Feels supple, light, flexible.  Ultra-sculpted brush embraces and separates each lash, hugging every curve.

7 Lash - Natural length.  Everyday glamourous.  MAC Lashes are handmade to exact specifications.  Each pattern and design is perfectly shaped and arranged to give a striking effect, whether the look is natural or dramatic.  Available in a variety of shapes and densities.  If properly cared for, lashes can be reshaped or adorned if desired.

Pro Longwear Lip Creme - Lightweight texture, creamy finish and comfortable longwear combine in this has-it-all pro-class lip colour.  Slick in use, applies without the need of a top coat and still lasts up to 12 hours.  Won't feather or transfer, and the colour stays true.  Helps lips stay soft and hydrated.
- You're Perfect Already - neutral pale pink
- Love Long Distance - light mauve
- Dear Diary - bright neon pink
- Booyah! - bright orange
- Heart Hangover - deep purple

Lip Pencil - A pencil designed for shaping, lining, or filling in the lip.  Lip Pencils have a smooth, creamy texture that is perfect for lining or filling them in.  They are long-lasting and available in a wide selection of colours that each work well with many different lipstick shades.
- In Synch - bright yellow pink
- Entertain Me - clearly orange
- Embrace Me - vivid pinkish fuchsia
- Nightmoth - blackened plum

Powder To The People - Play with polka dots to create highlighting effects on your eyes by blending the colours of this ultra-fine, lightweight pressed powder with a velvet-smooth finish.  Light pink background with brown, orange, bright blue, and yellow dots in an all over print.

Nail Lacquer - Revolutionary new high-gloss formula.  Three long-wearing finishes - Cream, Sheer, and Frosted.  Visibly different.  Provides no-streak/no-chip.  Contains conditioners and UV protection.  Go hi-lacquer!
- Vagabondage - midtone lavender
- Near Beth Experience - light yellow
- Life and Beth - milky peach
- Nocturnelle - black-as-night black

I really like this collection although I find that these shades will be better suited to my nighttime makeup looks, most them are not appropriate for a professional environment.  I am going to be all over the Pro Longwear Lip Creme in the Dear Diary shade.  This is a bright neon pink cream that is already sold out on the website and I will need to get my closest counter very soon.  I have been wearing my newest NARS pink lipsticks for the past week (review will be on the way!) and this shade will be a great addition to my pink line up, this formula has a creamier finish then the mattes that I have been wearing and will be a whole different lip look for me.  This is the only lip product that I am dying for, the other lipsticks are nice shades but there isn't one among them that I must own and I will be skippping over all the Lip Pencils.

The eye makeup of this collection has me very interested.  I went through a huge eye liner phase a year or two back but have mostly been buying eye shadows lately.  This collection is making me want to get right back into buying and using liquid eye liners, I love the Penultimate formula from this company for the hottest, humidest nights of the year.  Once this formula is in place, it doesn't move and never flakes off.  Based on this product, I would be more than happy to buy more liquid liners from MAC.  My first choice would be the Liquidlast Liner, I would love another black liquid liner especially one with a thicker applicator that will allow me to create a thicker winged look.  The new product released with this collection is another one that I am wanting to try soon.  The Smoke and Shadow product looks as though it will be a product that can quickly create a full eye makeup look.  My favorite shade is the Beth Mask, a duo of bronze and peach that will be very flattering to my eye color and will work well in the summer and then into the fall months.  I would also like to buy the black and white shade, named Little Miss Moffet, to create a retro black and white eye look.  I will be skipping over the colored mascaras since I tend to buy them and rarely use them. 

Unlike Casual Colour, the Nail Lacquers in this collection are much more tempting.  I am keeping the formula issues in mind and trying to find reviews of these shades before I make my final decision.  I love the Vagabondage shade, I have been collecting lavender polishes for the past few months and I will continue to wear them for the next few months.  I am also attracted to the Near Beth Experience shade even though I have never owned any shade of yellow polish in my life.  I will make my final decision on these shades pending any reviews that I can find on them.

The Powder To The People is the one product that I do not want at all from this collection.  Mixing all the shades will create a mess of the product and I don't really like the shade combinations that I would even get from this product.  In the past collections, products like this usually are either hit or miss and are bought only be people who are obsessed with MAC and are buying it as a collector's product.  I haven't read any positive reviews from the Temptalia blog on the formula and pigmentation of this product so I will be skipping over this one.

I love this collection and I believe that it is a great summer collection with products that will translate seamlessly into the fall.  I love the bright lip shade in this collection and I hope that it is still in stock when I go to the counter sometime next week.  This collection also inspires me to get back into eye liner and looks that requre heavy liner.  I like the collaboration between MAC and Beth Ditto, the fighting over this collection is not really warranted and is only serving to make the collection sell out even faster!

photo courtesy of Nordstrom

No comments: