Tuesday, July 17, 2012

C.O. Bigelow All-in-One Protective Day Lotion SPF 25

Several weeks ago, I raved about the C.O. Vitamin Face Wash that I ordered when I was restocking my collection of Lemon body products.  That product turned me into a C.O. Bigelow face care lover and now that the time has come to order another tube of the face wash, I decided to see what else I could find from this line of products.  It is summer and since it feels like we have been going through a heat wave for the past three weeks in my area of the country, I was more interested in trying to find a light face lotion rather than my usual face cream formula.  I only use light lotions during July and August so I actually didn't have a spare one in my product stash. 

I ordered the All-in-One Protective Day Lotion SPF 25 from the C.O. Bigelow website.  This is obviously a day lotion since it contains SPF 25 and the texture is light enough to use with makeup and primer during the hot weather months.  There was a time last summer when I just gave up on face lotion all together and used only sunscreen on my face during the day but this left my face really within a month and it remained really parched when fall came.  I am hoping to avoid that course of action this year and that is where this product from C.O. Bigelow will come into play.

I found this product on the C.O. Bigelow website and if you don't live in one of the few cities that has a free-standing C.O. Bigelow store than this is your only option to purchase this product.  "Hydrate and protect skin with this lightweight moisturizer, formulated with a power network of vitamins, nutrients, antioxidants, and UV protection.  Provides all day moisture and shields against damaging free radicals.  Protects against environmental pollutants with on-demand, light-activated antioxidants."

This is the first time that I am hearing about antioxidants that work on demand, this is a lovely concept but I can't say that I really buy in it very deeply.  I could see using ingredients or complexes that are activated by UVA and UVB rays (in theory).  However I have not read about technology that performs like this from any other company and I really believe that if it works all well as it should than many other companies would be using it too.  I would be more likely to believe a claim like this from a company like DDF or Murad where there is a much bigger budget for research and technology and the products are much higher end.  The C.O. Bigelow website states that this day lotion contains the following three ingredients: Anti-Pollution Complex, Healthy Skin Complex, and Skin Renewal Complex.  Unfortunately, this is where the description ends.  When reviewing all the ingredients, I can see different antioxidants and metals in the mix however if this company wants to make a claim like this one of the product effectiveness, then I want to see more research and specific details.

I'm not saying that this is a bad product, I actually really like it.  What I am saying is that this product is a very nice, light face lotion for normal skin.  This is not a product that will change your skin.  This face lotion added a bit of hydration to my skin but didn't make it oily, even in my T-Zone area.  I could not use this product any time other than the summer months, it wouldn't be anywhere near hydrating enough for my face.  This product doesn't contain a mattifying agent so I do need to bring blotting papers in my purse for touch-ups.  I try to apply this product thickly enough to reap some benefits of the SPF protection however I still prefer to use separate sunscreens and moisturizers whenever possible.  At least this product contains an SPF of 25 to make up for the fact that I can't apply it quite as thickly as I wish that I could.

This product works well with my pared-down summer beauty routine.  I rely on self tanner this time of the year and am able to maintain a light to medium bronzed look on my face and body.  I then use this product in the morning with a primer and a bit of bronzer.  This lotion is light enough that my primer and bronzer don't cake or feel heavy on my skin.  This is a good, solid lightweight face lotion for the summer months only.

photo courtesy of C.O. Bigelow

No comments: