Wednesday, July 11, 2012

French Week Day 3 - Clarins Self Tanning Instant Gel

One of the most iconic French body products comes right from the Riviera and it used by all the of the glamorous women vacationing in the Mediterranean.  I have used Clarins facial skincare products on and off over the past year now and have expanded my collection of this company's products to include their best-selling and top rated Self Tanning Instant Gel.  I bought the last tube on the shelf at Sephora last week so I know that I am not in the minority in using this product.  After a week of using this self tanner every other day, I am hoping to say that I look like I could be spending a long weekend in Monaco.  A lady can dream can't she?!

The Self Tanning Instant Gel is one of the best known and most talked about products from Clarins.  For many poeple in the beauty industry, this is one of the first products that comes to mind when this company is mentioned.  I know that fact holds for myself, I tend to think of tanners and skincare products before I think about the color collection from this company.  In addition, there are certain counters that only carry the body and skin products and very little of the color collection.  Based on how much I love the skincare products from this company, I really need to keep adding more of the color selections to my traincase.

The Sephora website provides a histroy of the beauty company and full descriptions of all the products.  "In 1954, Jacques Courtin-Clarins opened the first Clarins Institute de Beaute in Paris, France, where he developed treatments and products using natural botanical ingredients for the face and body.  The first beauty company to employ 100 percent pure plant extracts.  Clarins used only the best botanicals to complement the appealing textures and scents that made his luxurious products a please to apply.  Still a family-run business, Jacques' sons Dr. Olivier Courtin-Clarins and Christian Courtin-Clarins, continue on in the Clarins tradition today."
This self tanner is formulated to create a great color without the sun and conditioning and improving skin health at the same time.  I am usually happy enough when I can get a great color without harming my skin but knowing that I can help improve my skin with tanning it is an added bonus of this product.

"A self-tanning gel to bring out healthy color in skin.  This lightweight and non-oily gel promotes a natural, golden tan for face and body without sun exposure.  It's instantly absorbed, so there's no need to wait before dressing, with results in two hours.  Clarins Self Tanning Instant Gel is ideal for those who wish to maintain a year-round tanned experience."

This self tanner is famous for many reasons, all of which became very evident with less than a week's use of this product.  I applied the product at night and then left it to develop while I slept.  I have never had good experiences with applying self tanner during the morning and then trying to let it fully develop before heading out.  I prefer to let it really develop overnight and not worry about ruining any of my favorite outfits.  The color is fully developed by the morning and I wake up to a even golden tan. 

I have to apply this product every other day just like every other self tanner.  The color stays even for about two days then it begins to flake and fade like most other tanners on the market.  Reapplying this product every other day wards off fading and spotting issues so I recommend using it in this manner.  This product isn't the best tanner for beginners, this is one of the few products that I have tried that doesn't have some kind of bronze tint.  I was nervous about applying it the first few times since I tend to rely on the bronze shade to guide my application and make sure that i have it even and haven't missed any areas, the clear gel took some getting used to.  The first time that I used it, I had a few issues with streaking but I quickly figured out the best application method.  The gel formula dries quickly and completely soaks in with little residue on my sheets. 

One of my favorite aspects of this product is that it has a very faint floral fragrance, Clarins didn't try to cover up the chemical scents of the tanning ingredients with strong tropical scents.  The tanner scent does come out after the full development of the product so it is evident when I wake up in the morning.  The fake coconut scent of other products can realy get on my nerves so this product was a breath of fresh air in that regard. 

Applying this product every other day will get you beach ready, whatever beach you are lucky enough to run away to.  This tanner is one of the easiest and most effective ways to create and maintain a golden tan without the harmful rays of the sun.  This formula is top rated because it works so very well and helps to maintain the hydration levels in my skin.  The only drawback of this product is that the tube is very small so I will need to buy these two or three at a time to make sure that I always have it to use.
How I wish that I was spending a long weekend on the beach in the South of France!

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: