Saturday, July 21, 2012

Laura Mercier Fall 2012 Collection - Cinema Noir

One of most anticipated fall collections is Cinema Noir from Laura Mercier, this collection is full of muted, smoky shades that are perfect for the upcoming cooler weather.  I have been interested in this collection since I first saw hints of it several weeks ago and now it is finally available on the Laura Mercier website.  The first aspect of this collection that caught my attention was the name of the line, Cinema Noir is a great title for a fall collection and makes me think of the glamour age of the late 1940s and 1950s.  I have been all over the retro look lip with prominent red lips and this makeup collection is an extension of the look. 

This new collection features products and shades that will create a strong smoky eye look with a slightly more muted lip look.  I see that there is at least one more new nail polish hue in this collection, I love that Laura Mercier is heading into the nail polish market and that I have yet another collection to purchase shades from.  "Makeup is modern and dramatic.  Eyes wear muted shades in smoky mixes of teals and chocolates, blended together to create a true sultry appeal.  Lashes are long and voluminous, defining and enhancing the eyes.  Lips have a creamy soft finish in shades of roses and mauves, while cheeks are luminous and glowing."  I am all over new eye makeup this fall, hopefully I will find something new in this collection.  This company has released several great collections so far this year and this collection looks to be yet another winner.

Here is the collection...

Eye Colour Duet - New.  Limited edition.  The Eye Colour Duet immediately releases intense luminous colour with superior blending in two complementary shades.  The creamy powder texture provides distinctive full colour and unique blendability. 
- Suspense - neutral beige and plum brown (both are matte finishes)
- Mystere - taupe and deep navy (taupe is a matte finish, deep navy is Luster finish)

Tightline Cake Eye Liner - An easy-to-use, cake liner that delivers long-lasting color payoff that doesn't fade throughout the day for flawlessly defined eyes.  Applied with Laura's artisitc technique using the Flat Eye Liner Brush begin underneath the root fo the upper lash line and wiggle the brush between individual lashes.  Perfect for on-the-go, pop out your favorite shade from its compact and place it in a 3 or 6-well Custom Compact from a customized colour palette.
- Deep Teal - deep blue green
- Ground Expresso - deep neutral brown

Shimmer Bloc - Shimmer Bloc is a unique baked formula thaty applies effortlessly while brightening the eyes, cheeks, and body with a  hint of natural colour and light.  Light-reflecting properties blend together to give the skin a healthy all-over glow.  The modern wearable pearl leaves skin gleaming without being too frosty or metallic.  Layer over Bronzing Gel or Tinted Moisturizer for a natural sheen. 
- Starlet Mosaic - golden peach

Shimmer Lip Colour - Laura Mercier Shimmer Lip Colour delivers ultra-rich colour in an irresistibly lightweight formula.  Its unique blend of moisturizing, anti-aging, anti-oxidant, and pluming ingredients enhance the lips leaving a smoother, healthier appearance.  One swipe of colour provides hydration and prevents moisture loss ensuring fresh and flawless lips.  Lip Complex is a unique blend of moisturiazing, anti-aging, anti-oxidant, and pluming ingredients to boost the performance of the lip colour.  Offers Vitamins A and E to act as powerful anti-oxidants to soften, soothe, and condition lips for a plumper, smoothier, and healthier looking lip appearance.  Long-lasting coverage with a modern sheen.  Colour is refreshed everytime lips are pressed together.  Application is always fresh and flawless.
- Fresh Brown - warm bronze brown
- Raspberry Sorbet - berry rose shimmer
- Passion Fruit - light beige champagne

Creme Lip Colour - Laura Mercier Creme Lip Colour delivers ultra-rich colour in an irresistibly lightweight formula.  Its unique blend of moisturizing, anti-aging, anti-oxidant, and plumping ingredients enchance the lips leaving a smoother, healthier appearance.  One swipe of colour proivdes hydration and prevents moisture loss ensuring fresh and flawless lips. 
- Tea Rose - delicate pink nude

Nail Lacquer - Limited edition.  The ultra-smooth formula provides chip-resistant, fast-drying, and long-lasting colour.  Nail Lacquer does not contain formaldhyde, toluene, or dibutyl phthalate (DBP). 
- Cocoa Suede - chocolate brown
- Organza - beige with gold sparkle
- Nude Silk - taupe

Long Lash Mascara - Long Lash Mascara extends and perfectly separates the thinnest, shortest, hard-to-reach lashes by expertly scooping up and lengthening each lash while delivering just the right amount of product.  The perfectly engineered brush, designed to meet Laura's specifications, dramatically lengthens and defines lashes while enhancing the eyes.  An innovative stretch formula lengthens, separates, and curls each lash, making lashes appear longer in just two strokes.  Long-wearing, water-resistant, and smudge-proof.  Contains rich dark pigments to enhance lash colour for maximum drama.  Clump-free, fiber-free, paraden-free, and ophthamologist tested.  Suitable for contact lens wearers.
- Burgundy - deep burgundy

I love some of the eye makeup selections that are pictured with this collection, my focus this fall is picking up some new eye makeup to balance out all the lip products that I have bought over the spring and early summer.  I initially fell in love with the Suspense Eye Duet, however that was before I saw that the shades had a matte finish.  I will have to play with this product at the Sephora counter, many matte textured shadows have not worked well for me.  So the verdit is out  on this duo until I can play around with it more, I really like the shades but I don't want to buy it if I will never use it.  The Tightline Cake Eye Liner in the Ground Expresso shade will work very well for me this fall and winter, I don't have a deep rich brown eyeliner and this product will fill that void very well.

Many of the lip shades are too warm for me, the bronzes will not work for my skintones especially not in the fall when I lose all of my summer glow.  The Creme Lip Colour in Tea Rose is the shade that has me the most interested, this looks like a great my-lips-but-better look and will work with any natural or dramatic eye makeup look that I can come up with this fall.  This is my top pick of the collection, this shade will work so very well for me.  The Raspberry Sorbet Sheer Lip Colour is a lovely berry shimmer, it is not a must have for me but I would like to own it as it will be a great shade for fall. 

Two of the Nail Lacquer shades are on my shopping list too.  The Organza and Nude Silk shades are great neutrals and will be a break from my usual pale pink neutrals.  I like that this have a bit more pigment than many of the neutrals that I own and are great for the cooler weather months.

I like this collection however I was hoping to see a bit more eye makeup products and shades.  I was hoping for more eye shadows and perhaps a palette that would help create a deep chocolate smoky eye.  If shades like that were in this collection, then it would rank among the best of the season.  I buy a palette like that in a heartbeat but none of the eye shadows in this collection really jump out at me.  My favorite piece is the neutral pink lipstick, this is the only must have for me in the collection.

photo courtesy of Nordstrom

No comments: