Saturday, November 24, 2012

Kate Walsh Boyfriend

Kate Walsh Boyfriend is one of the most hyped perfumes on the market today and it has remained a top seller at Sephora ever since it first released.  I was interested right away when I first read about it but then wasn't quite as in love with it when I tried it out at the store, it was just too woody and musky for my tastes at that time.  I didn't buy it at that time and then pretty much forgot about it until it was offered as a sample on one of my many Sephora orders.  I decided to try it out again and see it I liked it a bit more when I had the time to really wear the fragrance.  I don't know if the formula has changed or if my tastes have changed a bit but this time around I fell in love with it after wearing it for a day and have already gone through my sample and ordered the Rollerball form of it from Sephora.

Why is Boyfriend such a unique fragrance?  This fragrance was created by Kate Walsh in order for her to smell like her boyfriend's colonge after he left.  "You don't need a boyfriend to have Boyfriend, the new fragrance created by "Private Practice" star Kate Walsh. Inspired by the longing felt for her boyfriend's warm scent, Boyfriend combines muguet, dark plum, myrrh, and night blooming jasmine to create a seductive floral fragrance. Topped off with amber and woody musk, this intoxicating scent includes all the notes that make your eyes roll—just like him.", states the Sephora website when they introduce this collection.  Boyfriend was the first fragrance in the Boyfriend collection and Billionaire Boyfriend was released soon after (I have tried and reviewed that fragrance earlier in the fall). 

The actual description of this fragrance (from Sephora), "She inhales his shirt, taking in the scent of the man she loves. It lingers on her clothes, her sheets, her hair—all over. Imprinted on her body and in her mind, it radiates within her, filling her with feelings of warmth and desire.  Actress Kate Walsh wanted to capture the scent of a guy on a girl: a man's cologne mixed with perfume, the smell that lingers on the skin. This fragrance evokes memories of that time after he has left for the day—when she gently awakes in a bed that's still warmly redolent of "boyfriend."  An alluring balance of vanilla, jasmine blossoms, and an accord of amber is set against the sensual scents of a man, including a light musk and a shimmer of fresh woods."

The notes of the fragrance are: Dark Plum, Myrrh, Night Blooming Jasmine, Benzoin Tears, Skin Musk, Golden Amber, Vanilla Woods.
This is by far one of the most unique fragrances on the market and I can see why it was an instant success and is still very hyped up.  The first time that I smelled this all I got was wood and amber and it was way too masculine for me, however now it seems to develop differently when I am using it.  The plum comes out first and then the fragrance settles into a combination of jasmine, amber, and a little bit of wood on my skin.  This fragrance continues to change throughout the day and settles more into the amber as time goes on. 

The staying power on this fragrance is amazingly long, I put this on in the morning and it is still hanging around when I go to shower at night.  I know that jasmine works very well with my skin chemistry and that is one big reason that this fragrance hangs around so long on me.  This is definitely a fragrance that I would wear only in the cool weather, it is very strong on me and I have to use it sparingly.  I do wonder if I first smelled this fragrance in the warmer weather because that could easily explain why I disliked it so much in the beginning.

This is one of the most unique fragrances that I own and I know that I will be wearing this for the next few months.  This is currnetly one of the items that I reach for the most now that my rollerball has arrived from Sephora.  I will be buying the full sized perfume bottle next fall (I should have some room on my dresser by then...hopefully) and I am also excited to try out the body products the next time that I go to Sephora.

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: