Thursday, August 8, 2013

Biolage ColorLast Shampoo and Conditioner

I have been faithfully using the Matrix Color Care line of shampoo and conditioner and then I was informed on my last salon visit that the products will not longer be available and that I am going to need to find a different core shampoo and conditioner.  I decided that I would trust whatever formula that my stylist recommended and would try it out.  Over the past few months of visits, she has used either the Matrix color line or the Biolage ColorLast line on my hair so it was an easy decision to purchase the shampoo and conditioner from that line.  I haven't had the best experiences from Biolage products in the past (think college) but I doubt that many of those products are even offered in the line anymore and formulas have been revamped over the years. 

This collection contains both shampoo and conditioner and then some targeted products to hydrate and style color treated hair.  I started with the shampoo and conditioner as I am in no need of any more styling products in my collection.  "Forget about de-saturated color. These state-of-the-art formulas and color-treated hair care products, inspired by nature, help protect hair, balance moisture and even out the hair’s surface for saturated, shiny, vibrant color that stays truer.", is the description of the overall line.  I have been using the shampoo and conditioner for several days now and I am happy with the results so I think that I will be buying more of the styling products once I begin to use some of my current ones up.

We will start with the shampoo and then move onto the conditioner.  "Color-treated hair can fade and lose it's luster over time. Inspired by nature's fade-defying orchid,  Biolage COLORLAST Shampoo helps maintain the color depth, tone and shine for vivid color-treated hair. Give her hair salon-vibrant color for up to 9 weeks.  (When using the system of COLORLAST Shampoo and Conditioner vs. a non-conditioning shampoo.).  The following are the features and benefits of use of the shampoo:
 - Low pH shampoo for color-treated hair helps prolong color vibrancy.
 - Gently cleanses to prevent unnecessary stripping of color.
 - Paraben-free formula is suitable for color-treated hair.

Now we will move onto the matching conditioner.  "Color-treated hair often loses it's color and luster over time.  Inspired by nature's fade-defying orchid,  Biolage COLORLAST Conditioner helps maintain the color depth, tone and shine for vivid color-treated hair. Give her hair salon-vibrant color for up to 9 weeks.  (When using the system of COLORLAST Shampoo and Conditioner vs. a non-conditioning shampoo.).  The features and benefits of this product are:
 - Low pH Conditioner moisturizes hair, extending the life of your color.
 - Hair is left soft and detangled with extra shine and depth of color.
 - Paraben-free formula is formulated specifically for color-treated hair.

I really like this combination and am very happy that I have been able to easily replace my Matrix formulas.  The shampoo requires only a nickel-sized drop to completely foam up and clean my shoulder length hair.  It rinses clean and doesn't leave any type of build up on my hair.  I haven't needed any type of clarifying formula ever since I began using this on a daily basis.  The conditioner performs just as well, if not better.  This is one of my favorite daily conditioners that I have every used and I have used a lot over the years.  It is thicker than most daily conditioners and more on par with a deep conditioner.  A quarter-sized drop covers my hair and I leave it on for about three minutes in the shower.  It hydrates well and detangles my hair, I can run my fingers through my wet hair right after rinsing with this formula.  The smell of these two products is herbal but no major notes stand out to my nose.  I don't mind the fragrance but I don't love it.  I have no issues with color fade out and this group performs very similar to the Matrix in that respect.  I will not make it to nine weeks since I get my redone every four to five weeks.

What could have been a beauty disaster for me was quickly adverted and I believe that it is for the better too.  This formula is more hydrating than the Matrix formula and makes my hair soft and shiny even after all the heat styling that I subject it to.  I will need to start using some of the styling products in this line over the next few months.

photo courtesy of Biolage

No comments: