Sunday, August 18, 2013

Phillip B. Peppermint and Avocado Volumizing and Clarifying Shampoo

Today we are returning to some reviews of the products that I have received so far this summer in my Glossyboxes.  I am very glad that I signed up for this box subscription earlier this summer and I have both been able to try all kinds of new products that I might not have known about and I have been able to gift products to my friends who I knew would love them more then I would.  The Phillip B. hair care line is one of the harder ones to find in my area and I have to order the products online or pick them up when I visit NYC or King of Prussia.  That being said, I haven't gotten to try any of them yet and haven't even found a salon in my area that uses them or could order for me.  Glossybox definitely filled this void for me...

Earlier this summer, each Glossybox received one of the shampoos in the Phillip B. product line and my box contained the Peppermint and Avocado Volumizing and Clarifying Shampoo.  I had put off trying this product for a good amount of time since I rarely use any type of clarifying shampoo as I do not want to strip the lowlights out of my hair and would have to use the product right before I have a hair appointment so that my color remains true for the rest of the time.  I wasn't sure that this product was for me but since I tend to get build up from using all kinds of straightening and deep conditioning products.  So I gave it a shot a few days before my last two hair appointments.  This will be a product that lasts me for a long time since I will only use it once every few weeks. 

I found this product on the Nordstrom website and this seems to be the only place around me that I would be able to purchase it in a store so I will pull all my information from their website.  "One of PHILIP B®'s most acclaimed products, this is a clarifying cleanser and powerfully active aroma-therapeutic scalp treatment in one. Formulated with sixteen pure plant extracts; eleven essential and carrier oils; and a potent, active dose of 2.3% pure peppermint oil, the shampoo works as a local anesthetic to soothe scalp tension, stimulate circulation and leave your scalp feeling tingly fresh and clean. PHILIP B® Peppermint & Avocado Volumizing & Clarifying Shampoo also lifts away product residue—restoring your hair's natural shine and vitality without without compromising its precious moisture and elasticity. Safe for color-treated hair; ideal for use with PHILIP B® Rejuvenating Oil. Feel the amazing difference on your scalp and hair from the very first use."

This is considered to be color safe but I am not planning on trying this product anytime soon after I get my hair done so I will be skipping over this part of the description.  I will say that the peppermint oil does feel great on the scalp and it reminds me very much of getting the Aveda Rosemary Mint massages from the salon (on the rare times that I don't get my color touched up) and I love that I can replicate that feeling at home.  This is nice treat but this isn't something that I would recommend as a daily product, I am not sure that I would like that feeling every day and I don't know how this would affect the skin on my scalp with daily usage.  This is a once a week product at most.

I did find that this Phillip B. product quickly cleans lingering build up off my hair and leaves it quite smooth and shiny.  So I do really like this clarifying shampoo and I want to try it with the oil that is recommended with this product.  I will keep using my bottle of this shampoo for the next few months and then I think that I will order another one and perhaps more products from this brand to try out. 

photo courtesy of Nordstrom

No comments: