Saturday, September 21, 2013

Donna Karan Cashmere Mist

Fall is now completely in the air and I have been moving over to all my fall fragrances and outfits. I just received some new samples from my latest Sephora order and the fragrance that we are going to talk about today was among them.  Cashmere Mist from Donna Karan is one of the best selling women's fragrances and one that is worn by all kinds of ladies.  Honestly...I hate smelling like everyone else and that was enough to keep me away from this fragrance for years.  But since I have a sample of it, I decided that I would try it out and see if I can understand what all the hype is about.

Fall is the perfect time to try this fragrance, it is definitely a cold weather fragrance and one that I would pair with a cashmere sweater for a casual night out or a day spend outside with friends.  This is one of those fragrances that has cleverly combines the notes to smell like "skin", very similar to Burberry Touch.  I either love or detest these types of fragrances and I feel that they work very differently for everyone.  Cashmere Mist was one of the better perfumes in this category but I don't know that it is worthy of purchasing a full bottle and expanding my perfume collection.

"Inspired by the soft, sensual feeling of cashmere against bare skin, Cashmere Mist Eau de Parfum is a fragrance light enough to wear all over your body all year long. It seduces the senses—skin, scent and spirit.", states the Sephora website.  I don't know that I would call this fragrance light enough to wear all throughout the year but I am sure that it wears very differently on many people.

The notes are: Lily of the Valley, Suede Notes, Bergamot, Ylang Ylang, Jasmine Maroc, Sandalwood, Orris, Amber, Vanilla, Cedarwood, Patchouli, Musk.

I fully stand behind my position that this is a cold weather fragrance, I pull all of the jasmine and sandalwood and therefore would never be able to wear this fragrance in the warm weather.  I reviewed some of the comments made about the fragrance on the Sephora website and wanted to see if others agreed with me or if more ladies were able to really wear it all year long.  There were quite a few ladies who stated that it mostly smelled like a light baby powder fragrance but they were in the minority.  Most of the reviewers pulled many of the similar notes as I did and considered the fragrance to be a cold weather fragrance.  At least I know that my nose is broken today...

I love jasmine fragrances so I will be finishing up the rest of my sample but I don't know that I love it enough to add to my collection, I would use this fragrance for the same occasions that I wear Tom Ford's Violet Blonde and I much prefer Violet Blonde of the two.  The wear time and intensity are both medium, I get about six hours from Cashmere Mist and it remains fragrant the whole time on my skin. 

I can how many women love this fragrance, it contains a mixture of notes that will blend differently on all different ladies however I find this to only be a cold weather fragrance.  With the exception of the few ladies that pull a "baby powder" fragrance from it, all of the notes in it are best suited for cooler weather...especially for the ladies who really pull patchouli or musk.  If you like a heavier, richer fragrance than this fragrance will appeal to you but I don't find it to be quite as "universal" as Donna Karan suggests...

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: