Sunday, September 15, 2013

Urban Decay Naked Flushed Palette

Urban Decay has been rivaling MAC for my favorite makeup line the past few weeks and I have been heading right to their counter each time that I enter Sephora.  My recent favorites from this line have all been lip products so I decided to try a new type of product from this line and learn more about how their face products stack up against those of MAC.  MAC Pro Longwear Blushes have been my recent favorites and I want to see how the blush formula in the Urban Decay Naked Flushed Palette compares to that formula.  I am in the process of deciding how many more shades of Pro Longwear I want to order and the results of my use of this Urban Decay palette has the potential to change all my orders.

The Naked Flushed Palette is the face makeup piece of the super popular Naked collection of products.  I now own both Naked Palettes, the Naked lipstick shade, and the face palette.  I was slightly hesitant to purchase this product now as it contains a bronzer that I would not use until next summer.  I thought about it for a few moments and remembered that even I am in full "fall" mode, the weather has not caught up to me and I can test this product out for a least one or two weeks.  I now also know that I have a brand new bronzer to use next summer and may not have to spend time searching for new bronzer formulas.

I bought this palette at Sephora so I am using the information that this company provides on the product.  "A silky bronzer, highlighter, and blush in a sleek, travel-ready compact.  Use these pressed powders individually or blend them together to create just the right effect. Urban Decay’s micronized, jet-milled formula has a luxe, featherlight texture that feels amazing on your skin and provides a flawless finish. Light-diffusing particles enhance and perfect to for a fresh, glowy look, even after a late night. The color is intensely pigmented yet blends beautifully, and the universal shades are versatile enough for any skintone.  All shades are full size and come in a sleek case with an easy-open magnetic closure and a mirror that is compact enough for travel or mid-date touchups."

The bronzer is a medium tan shade, the highlighter is a pale pink shimmer, and the blush is a bright pink hue.  I have used the bronzer and the blush the most and am struggling to find the best way to make use of the highlighter. 

The bronzer is a traditional matte bronzer formula, I notice little to no difference between this formula and the one that I tried earlier this summer from Bare Minerals.  It goes on nicely and lasts a full eight hours when I am at work.  It doesn't make it very well through a workout or yoga class at night but I wasn't anticipating that it would so I am not that disappointed.  This shade is a true "Medium" and I have to apply it with a very light hand or my face will not match my neck (even with still using up my last bottle of sunless tanner).  The best mode of application for me is to tap the top of my bronzer brush directly onto the product and then lightly brush it all over my face.  I follow with a second round only on my forehead, cheek bones, and chin.  I don't know if this is the greatest bronzer formula ever but it works well and I will use it for a few more days and then bring it back out next May.

The blush is a bright pink hue that apply smoothly and has a nice amount of pigmentation.  This one is the quality of the MAC Pro Longwear or NARS.  It lasts all day without streaking during a workout and the pigment remains true throughout normal wear.  My biggest issue with this product is that I can only get it in this palette and Urban Decay does not sell single powder blushes (at least as of right now...I am sure that could change in the future).  I would love to see more of these blushes sold alone and in a range of shades.  I will be crossing my fingers that Urban Decay can deliver on this in the coming seasons.

I tend to mostly use the highlighter around my eyes even though many people get the best results with use on the top of the cheek bones.  I dip my finger into the highlighter and then apply a small amount on the inner and outer corner of my eyes.  It makes me look more awake without having to add more eye makeup.  I have used it this way in the morning and then again in the late afternoon to freshen my makeup up after leaving work.  I am afraid to work with it too much on my cheekbones or on the side of my nose since it is quite shimmery and I do not normally apply shimmer products in either of these areas.  This will take some trial and error and a very light hand during application.

Overall, this is a nice palette and I am happy that I could try out more Urban Decay Naked products.  The bronzer will be a staple for me next summer and I am getting my hopes up about this company bringing more blush shades out.  I would love to see this palette in different shades and I am sure that my wish will be answered over the coming seasons!

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: