Monday, September 30, 2013

MAC Viva Glam - The Original



MAC Viva Glam is a worldwide phenomenon and has been among their best selling products since the first shade was released in the early 1990s.  Viva Glam has been a huge piece of the MAC collection for almost twenty years now and has contributed more to the MAC Aids Foundation that I could ever imagine, I own the original Lady Gaga shade and there have been many more that I have wanted but they sold out before I could ever get my hands on them.  I consider it an honor for any celebrity to be the face of Viva Glam and I love the choices of the company so far.

This month, MAC is revisiting the original Viva Glam shade and spokesperson, I was in elementary school when this was released so I never saw the campaign or even knew what MAC was.  For many people in the beauty industry, this is a blast from the past but this is a whole new collection for me since I had never seen it before.  RuPaul is the original spokesperson for this collection and is the iconic spokesperson in my book.  The original shade was a deep red that quickly became a classic shade in the MAC Lipstick shade range!

The MAC website provides the following as a description of the collection, "The original VIVA GLAM girl is back! The fabulous RuPaul, first face of VIVA GLAM in 1994, returns with her outspoken burgundy red Lipstick - now also available as a Lipglass. Every cent of the selling price of VIVA GLAM - The Original goes toward helping women, men and children living with and affected by HIV/AIDS."

The Original Viva Glam!

Viva Glam I Lipstick - In 1994, M·A·C introduced VIVA GLAM, an outspoken deep red that was universal in appeal and glamour. In 1997, a second lipstick was created VIVA GLAM II, a pinked mauve. VIVA GLAM III, a foxy brown plum launched in 2000. VIVA GLAM IV, a heartful rose charged with gold, introduced in March 2002. In March 2004, Viva Glam V makes its debut, a pure neutral pink with a delicious Lustre finish! VIVA GLAM VI, the newest member of the VIVA GLAM family, is a warm terracotta-plum with pearl finish. Wear it alone or finish it off with a coat of VIVA GLAM VI Lipglass. Every cent of the selling price of VIVA GLAM Lipstick and Lipglass is donated to the M·A·C AIDS Fund to support men, women, and children living with HIV and AIDS.
- Viva Glam I - intense brownish blue-red (Matte)

Viva Glam I Lipglass - A unique lip gloss available in a wide variety of colours that can create a high gloss, glass-like finish or a subtle sheen. Designed to be worn on its own, over Lip Pencil or Lipstick, Tinted Lipglass is the perfect product for creating shine that lasts. It's pigmented, very shiny and can impart subtle or dramatic colour. It contains Jojoba Oil to help soften and condition the lips. Tinted Lipglass is packaged in a convenient bottle with a sponge tip applicator that provides a quick, smooth, even application.
- Viva Glam I - intense brownish blue-red

This collection is more than a Lipstick/Lipglass collection for me, these shades take me back to the 1990s and the supermodels that dominated the fashion world in this decade.  I remember looking at mnay pictures of Cindy Crawford and Naomi Campbell wearing either this shade or one that looked exactly like it both on the runways and on the streets of New York City.  This was when I first started to become obsessed with fashion and supermodels and this lipstick shade was a big reason that I always tried to steal my mother's lipsticks and wear them around the house.  I have a sneaking feeling that I am not alone in these behaviors and that the Supermodel Era inspired lots of young girls at this time...

I guess it goes without saying that I must have both of these products and I will wear them all fall and winter!

photo courtesy of MAC

No comments: