Thursday, August 11, 2011

MAC Seasonally Supreme

Seasonally Supreme seems to be the first lipstick oriented collection of the fall season!  This collection is based on the lip trends that are being seen in the Asian markets, lots of both color and shine.  MAC Lipsticks are among my favorites to begin with so I am always looking forward to new shades and finishes being released.  That being said, since the MAC Lipstick line is so huge already, I tend to find that the limited edition collections carry shades that are already found in the original collection and are just a slight change of hue or finish.  Seasonally Supreme is the newest lipstick formulation and so far I haven't heard much positive feedback on the formula itself.  Temptalia considered this formulation to vary a large amount between the shades and therefore I wonder how it will vary from tube to tube.  Not something that I like to hear when I am trying to decide on lipstick hues...

"Attention Tokyo scenesters, Seoul trendies, Shanghai sophisto-chicks...you've inspired a new collection of Supreme Sheen: twelve cream-or-frost shades that fuse Lipglass's high-shine finish with the saturated color of a Lipstick."  This collection runs the gamut of shades, most of which appeared somewhat unwearable when they were reviewed on the Temptalia blog.  I do recommend checking her reviews out before purchasing these. 

Sheen Supreme Lipstick - Combining the colour impact of a Lipstick with the shine sheen of a Lipglass, Sheen Supreme creates the perfect hybrid - with no compromise.  Lightweight, non-sticky, slick to apply, and comfortable to wear.  This is a must-have for all those who have craved this kind of fusion.
- Supremely Confident - pale nude
- Happy Hibisicus - creamy white-pink
- Bare Again - pinky neutral beige
- Supreme Style - light coral with pink
- Tea Ceremony - neutral beige pink
- Sheer Mandarin - mid-tone yellow orange
- Blossom Culture - soft pink with pearl
- Fashion City - neutral coral with pink
- Royal Azalea - bright mid-tone pink
- Insanely It - watermelon pink
- Korean Candy - bright orange-red
- Asian Flower - creamy lavender

The shade descriptions and swatches on the website look fantastic.  The neutrals look natural and easy to work with, the cool shades look cool-toned and vice versa on the warm tones.  However, after seeing swatches from this collection, I recommend that you find additional pictures of these shades or go to the counter instead of ordering online.  I wanted to love this collection, I have found nothing that I like lip product-wise all season and I wanted to buy new lipsticks, Bare Again and Happy Hibiscus.  Bare Again is a neutral pink that I was hoping would stand in for Way To Love and Happy Hibiscus is a pale pink that I was hoping to use in place of Viva Glam Gaga (so I can stop rationing it!).  To begin with, the neutral shades are all much warmer on the lips then they ever appeared on the website, I was very disappointed with Bare Again.  It was a fair shade, a bit too warm and nothing special.  Overall, any shades listed as a "neutral" is much warmer than it appears and wouldn't work well on cool toned skin. 

Happy Hibiscus was just awful when I saw it on swatches.  It is described as a "creamy white-pink", it is 75% white and 25% pink.  It is more of a frost then a cream and it is so light that it is unwearable even for me.  The original Viva Glam Gaga was hard enough to work with, I don't see why MAC needed an ever lighter version of the shade...  The corals are very bright and very warm, they are not neutral in the least.  The rest of the shades are all bright, not wearable for fall in the least.  This would have been much more appropriate as a spring or summer collection since few of these shades would work with the fall trends. 

I am just never going to get a good lipstick collection this season, I have come to full terms with it...

photo courtesy of MAC

No comments: