Monday, August 8, 2011

C.O. Bigelow Tinted Lemon Lip Balms

Last spring, I raved about the berry versions of the C.O. Bigelow Lemon Lip Balms and fell madly in love with the Black Cherry and Lemon flavor.  However, like the spring season, these balms are long gone and I am so glad that I picked an extra Black Cherry one up at their sale in June.  But of course Bath and Body Works wouldn't disappoint me and they have released a fall version of these lip balms.  This time around, it is tinted version of the product and it reminds me of the Fresh Lip Balms that have been such a hit over the past few years.  I love tinted lip balms overall and these might take a place in my top favorite products.

This product comes in three shades; Blackberry, Strawberry, and Ginger.  The Blackberry is the one that I bought and have been trying out over the few days. 

The Blackberry shade was the one that caught my eye first, most likely since it is the darkest of the three shades and contrasted the most with the other products on the lip table at Bath and Body Works.  "Fresh from the fruit groves, our delicious Lemon Blackberry Tinted Lip Balm softens and smooths lips while adding just a hint of color.  Tints lips a soft plum color.  Flavors lips with a delicious blend of tangy lemon mixed with fresh blackberries."  I have tried out all three shades and this one is the most dramatic of the three, it looks very scary in the tube, but turns a deep berry plum shade on the lips.  This is one that I will be saving for fall, it was a bit off looking with my summer tan.  This one will be best for someone with a cool toned complexion, it won't be flattering on you if you can't wear any type of purple shade.  This one is the best of the group and I am glad that this is the one that I was able to get. 

The Strawberry shade is the only other shade that I like in the new collection, this is a better shade for the spring and summer.  "Fresh from the fruit groves, our delicious Lemon Strawberry Tinted Lip Balm softens and smooths lips while adding color.  Leaves a soft pink tint on lips.  Flavors lips with a delicious blend of tangy lemon mixed with sweet strawberries."  This one turns a light pink hue on the lips and is very sheer.  This one has very little tint and is barely noticeable on the lips.  This one is best for the days when you aren't wearing much makeup or against a stronger eye makeup.  I didn't buy this one since I already own a bunch of light pink tinted lip glosses and this one is not that unique at all.

The last shade is the Ginger, my least favorite of the three.  This one is the warmest of the three shades so this is one that wouldn't work with my skintone anyway.  This one is totally see through on the lips and really could be completely skipped all together.  When applied, this shade looks almost no different from the actual Lemon Lip Balm itself.  "Fresh from the fruit groves, our delicious Lemon Ginger Tinted Lip Balm softens and smooths lips while adding just a hint of color.  Leaves a soft natural tint on lips.  Flavors lips with a delicious blend of tangy lemon mixed with spicy fresh ginger."  This one is the easiest to skip of the three, it is a nice hue but it is so sheer that there is almost no point in using this one. 

The Blackberry is the most dramatic of the three shades but the others had little to no tint at all.  Of all the products, the Blackberry is the one most worthy of a purchase.  The other two are so sheer that they could be skipped on altogether.  I will be saving the Blackberry shade for the fall, it will be right on trend with the lip shades that are being released by many other beauty companies.  The scnet on these if the natural lemon and the fruit mix so it is strong at first and disappears very quickly afterword so this is a good choice for someone who doesn't like strongly scented products on their lips.  I love that Bath and Body Works is really keeping up on the some of the new makeup trends.  I would love to see a red tint in this collection...one that tastes like black cherry of course!  I would have also liked to see more color from the Strawberry and Ginger lip balms since they are so sheer.  A deeper pink or neutral shade would have been lovely and give these two balms much more of an impact.

photo courtesy of Bath and Body Works

No comments: