Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Beauty Loves Week Day Three - Chanel Le Vernis

Today we are looking at my longest Beauty love and still my favorite nail polish formula and shade range.  I couldn't imagine not having Chanel Le Vernis shades in my nail polish collection and I have been using then since I first received a special beauty gift.  The shade that started my love with this product is the Ciel de Nuit shade, a limited edition shade that was made the winner of a Seventeen magazine contest and I had just began reading the magazine and was in love with everything that the writers suggested.  I still remember everything about that first bottle of polish that I received and I still look at every single seasonal collection to see if this shade might be replicated (by anyone at this point!).  As of right now, a single bottle of this polish is offered at $350 on Ebay and I was actually considering ordering it but then I did wonder how well the formula has weathered the time.  This polish shade was only made in the late fall of 1995...

That's right...1995!  This was my first piece of expensive makeup and my first ever item from Chanel, this product is when my love of makeup started and I have never looked back since.  I have added many more shades to my collection with my latest addition last summer with the top-rated Vertigo shade.   Blue Satin was introduced in early 2008 as a dupe for Ciel de Nuit and I bought this bottle the second that I first heard about it.  I still used and treasure this shade and have been playing around with all kinds of glitter top coats to try and replicate the look of the "night sky".  Nothing has been perfect yet however I have been able to get close enough to be satisfied until I can look at more seasonal collections.

The Chanel website describes the polish formula as follows, "Classic and trend-defining shades from the runways of Paris. State-of-the-art formula strengthens and moisturizes nails as it delivers long-wearing, high-shine, chip-resistant colour. Applies evenly without streaking.  All Chanel nail products are formaldehyde-free, toluene-free and DBP-free."  Blue Satin is a deep navy blue with a very shiny finish and Vertigo is a deep brown that can resemble black in some lights.  I have found that every shade from Chanel is great but the deep hues are particularly wonderful, these are among some of the best jewel tones that I own. 

Every polish shade from Chanel is long-wearing and chip-proof while being super shiny without the need of a separate top coat.  If I could only use one polish brand for the rest of my life, this would be the one and I would be overjoyed if I owned the entire Le Vernis line up.  Many of the shades of this polish started as limited edition and then were such hits that Chanel added them to the permanent line of polishes, I am so excited to see what shades come out for the fall months as these tend to be the best of the entire year.  Le Vernish shades sell out so quickly that I rely on my Chanel makeup artist to let me know exactly when she receives the new bottles and to hold them until I can get to the counter.  When trying to get the newest and best shades from this line, an "in" at the counters is often needed. 

Chanel Le Vernis is one of the best nail polish formulas and shade ranges that can be bought on the beauty product market, this is my favorite nail polish brands and the one that I know that I will continue to purchase for many years.

photo courtesy of Chanel

No comments: