Monday, August 20, 2012

MAC Styleseeker

MAC fall collections are in full swing right now with the late August release of Styleseeker.  The first big fall release from this company was Heavely Creature at the very beginning of July and this collection set the tone for the next few fall collections from this company.  My local MAC counter still has a few pieces left on the displa however all the Mineralize products from that collection appeared to sell out very quickly after the initial release.  To follow up this huge fall release, MAC has introduced another large collection, Styleseeker.  As of right now, Styleseeker is available only on the website and will be on counters this Thursday, I love the early website releases so that I can get my pre-order ready before I visit the counter. 

Styleseeker is a very fall collection, the hues are all rich and deep, especially those in the eye and lip products.  "Fall colour surfaces in a vivid colour collection influenced by the spirit and style of a global wanderer.  She has a knack for juxtaposing vintage, ethnic, flea market, and avant-garde into stunning original looks, inspiring a world of wanderlust as eclectic and fashionable as she is."  The promo pictures that Macy*s sent me reminded me of the colors that I would see in Africa and India.  It was a collection of rich, bright tones and lots of patterns and varied textures.  I wasn't a huge fan when I saw the promo pictures but I am very interested in the deep hues of the Mattene Lipstick formula.  It seems that African culture is very popular this fall, this collection reminded me very much of the shades that China Glaze released in the On Safari collection. 

Here is the newest huge fall release from MAC!

Culturalized: Eye Shadow x 2 - A highly pigmented powder formula that applies evenly, blends, and builds beautifully.  The globally inspired colour combination of Brule and Retrospeck create softly shadowed to dramatic eyes.
- Brule - soft creamy beige (Satin)
- Retrospeck - midtone neutral gold (Lustre)

Marche Aux Puces: Eye Shadow x 2 - A highly pigmented powder formula that applies evenly, blends, and builds beautifully.  The globally inspired colour combination of Indie Spirit and Chessa create softly shadowed to dramatic eyes.
- Chessa - midtone golden orange (Veluxe Pearl)
- Indie Spirit - chestnut brown (Matte)

On The Hunt: Eye Shadow x 2 - A highly pigmented powder formula that applies evenly, blends, and builds beautifully.  The globally inspired colour combination of Raving Mad and Star Myth create softly shadowed to dramatic eyes.
- Star Myth - bronzed violet (Veluxe Pearl)
- Raving Mad - bronzed red (Frost)

Whims and Fancies: Eye Shadow x 2 - A highly pigmented powder formula that applies evenly, blends, and builds beautifully.  The globally inspired colour combination of Performance Art and Shadowy Lady create softly shadowed to dramatic eyes.
- Performance Art - platinum silver (Veluxe Pearl)
- Shadowy Lady - blackened plum (Matte)

Fluidline - Ultra-smooth.  Fluidline's gel formula provides the precision of a liquid liner with a silkier, softer finish.  Goes on "foolproof" with a brush in an easy dip-and-stroke action.  Long-wearing.  Smudgeproof.  Lines up in a rich array of colours and finishes.  Brush sold separately.
- Dark Diversion - blackened plum
- Rich Ground - reddened coco with frost
- Local Wares - dirty olive with multidimensional pearl
- Blacktrak - solid flat black

Mattene Lipstick - With its streamlined design, this new slimline lipcolour, features the traditional glamour properties of a matte lipstick - intense colour and semi-matte velvety finish - while offering a creamier, smoother, more glide-on application.  Non-caking, non-drying.  Moisturizing and incredibly wearable yet absolutely matte.
- Camden Chic - medium brown red (Matte)
- Delectable - warm peach orange (Matte)
- Eden Rouge - medium cool blue red (Matte)
- Fashion Nomad - bright warm orange (Matte)
- Fun Finds - pale pink beige (Matte)

Lipglass - A unique lip gloss available in a wide variety of colurs that can create a high gloss, glasslike finish or a subtle sheen.  Designed to be worn on its own, over Lip Pencil or Lipstick, Tinted Lipglass is the perfect product for creating shine that lasts.  It's pigmented, very shiny and can impart subtle or dramatic colour.  It contains Jojoba Oil to help soften and condition the lips.  Tinted Lipglass is packaged in a convenient bottle with a sponge-tip applicator that provides a quick, smooth, even application.
- C-Thru - peachy beige with shimmer
- Eclectic Edge - mid-tone clean true orange
- Ready to Roam - mid-tone true blue red
- Restless - dark burnt bronze

Powder Blush - Colour for the cheeks and face.  Various formulas.  Different looks.
- Hidden Treasure - medium cool rose (Satin)
- Supercontinental - warm peach (Matte)
- Worldly Wealth - medium bronze (Frost)

Nail Lacquer - Revolutionary new high gloss formula.  Visibly different.  Provides a no-streak/no-chip finish.  Contains conditioners and UV protection.  Go hi-lacquer!
- Gadabout Girl - blackened plum (Cream)
- Mean and Green - purple with teal multi-changing pearl (Frost)
- Styleseeker - duochrome orange-red (Frost)

This collection isn't one of my favorites, I usually love MAC fall collections but this one just doesn't do it for me.  There are some pieces that I really like and some that I would never be able to pull off.  I can't even state that any of the products contain all winning shades, I don't really love either the eye or lip shades, this collection is so blah to me.  This might be one of the first times that I can completely skip over a MAC fall collection.

Do I love anything in this collection?  Yes, the Fluidlines contain some great shades and the Mattene Lipstick contains a great red hue.  The Fluidlines are my only must purchase from this collection, i have been searching for new eyeliners for the fall and Local Wares and Dark Diversion will be great additions to my fall eye makeup collection.  Local Wares is a bronze hue, so I will get lots of use from this hue with both my Urban Decay Naked Palettes.  Dark Diversion will work with a plum smoky eye, a look that I have been looking for shades to help me create this fall.  The Mattene Lipstick (how I wish that this formula was carried in the permanent line!) is Eden Rouge is a lovely bright blue red with a matte finish.  Initally I was very attracted to this shade however I read on the Temptalia blog that this is the exact same shade as Russian Red...which is the exact same shade as Red Racer.  I don't really need three of the exact same red matte lipsticks from MAC, I love reds from MAC but there are other shades that I would be more likely to purchase before buying another blue red matte shade. 

Most of the other shades in this collection are much too warm and deep for me to pull off, many of the shades would work much better on a woman with a deeper skintone than mine and therefore I will be skipping over the majority of this collection.  I am more excited for the MAC and Carine Roitfeld collection than I am for any of the products here...

photo courtesy of Nordstrom

No comments: