Friday, August 31, 2012

Zoya Fall 2012 Collection - Gloss

My obsession with nail polish only continues to grow over the past few months, I have been collecting all kinds of new shades and now am drooling over some of the beauty magazine articles about how to create simple nail art.  I am not the most cooridinated so I am learning how to do simple dots and small patterns in an accent manicure.  Nail polish and nail art have become two of the hottest trends over the past two seasons, just visit the Nail Bar at any Sephora and you will see that it is fast becoming one of the hottest places in the store.  The fall nail polish collections and the advent of the at-home Gel Manicures have only been adding fuel to the fire and I now have so many polishes that I have to find another place to store my polishes.

Zoya has introduced not one, but three new collections for the fall season.  I have found that they typically introduce two collections, one that has a traditional cream finish and then one that contains very similar shades in a shimmer or metallic type of finish.  This season they have introduced an extra collection, the one that we will start out with today.

Gloss is the collection that we will focus on today, it was created by Zoya for New York Fashion Week 2012.  Gloss contains three new polish shades that are sold by themselves and in a sampler set.  All three of these shades have a sheer jelly finish so I imagine they will appear semi-sheer on the nail.  I am not a huge fan of sheer shades unless they are light neutrals, I don't like the see-through deep pinks, I feel like they just look as those my nails are stained and I didn't clean them up well enough.  I don't know how well this collection will work for me in this regard (unless I plan to apply three to four coats of them to get a more pigmented finish) so I wouldn't order them right away from this company.  If I see them at Ulta and they can be built up with a ton of hassle then I might purchase a shade or two.  Come to think, I think my favorite salon uses Zoya polishes, I will have to look further into this...

All Zoya polishes are free of the Big 5, many polish lines are working to become free of the Big 3 chemicals but this line is unique in that it goes further than any other.  The Big 5 are: formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toulene, camphor, and dibutyl phthalate.  These polishes are the first that I have ever seen as being "vegan", I am now beginning to wonder what might be the rest of my nail polishes...

The shades of Gloss!

Katherine - sheer, dark, red-toned aubergine with a buildable jelly finish (cool)

Paloma - sheer, deep fuchsia-berry with a buildable jelly finish (cool)

Frida - sheer, dark, warm-toned teal blue with a buildable jelly finish (cool)

All three of these shades were created for the Peter Som collection for Fall of 2012, the jewel toned hues are very popular for the fall and I can see these shades going right along with this trend.  They are very sheer with just one or two coats and a minimum of four coats are needed for the full coverage, I don't have to pateince for four coats of nail polish (especially when I don't really love any of the shades) so I doubt that this is a collection for me.  I like all three of the shades but I don't love any of them, Frida is my favorite but I could easily find another teal shade with a more pigmented finish. 

I am holding out hope that this the only sheer finish polishes from the new Zoya shades, I could not deal with having to wear four coats of polish to achieve a normal pigment and therefore I doubt that I would buy any of these three shades, I like the Frida shade but I can find another teal with more pigmentation.

Onto the next two collections...

photo courtesy of Zoya

No comments: