Friday, August 10, 2012

Too Faced The Return of Sexy Eye Shadow Palette

Ever since I have began talking about the fall collections, I have stated over and over again that I needed to buy more eye makeup this fall.  Throughout the spring and summer months, I added lots of lip and nail products to my collection but very few eye makeup shades.  So I have been using the same three or four palettes (mostly from Urban Decay) for what seems like the entire summer.  So far I have seen some great eye makeup shades that I am looking forward to collecting...but I have been coveting more lip products than anything else.  All of the great new lip shades that have been coming out are not helping my resolve to buy more eye makeup but I managed to not buy any lip-related items the last time that I was at Sephora!

One of the new fall releases that caught my eye right away on the Sephora website was a new palette from Too Faced.  This palette is named The Return of Sexy and it contains a bevy of great new eye shadows for me to covet and play with this fall.  The palette has finally been released at the store and I bought myself one at the very end of last week.  I have been playing around with the shades and the how-to cards every since and I am happy to report that I now have lots of new eye makeup for the fall months.

I believe that this palette is exclusive to Sephora, this is the only website that I have seen it on.  "A decadent mirrored palette that celebrates the most seductive eye looks of all time.  From sexy neutrals to passionate purples and sultry, smoky grays, The Return of Sexy offers a complete range of shades paried with a variety of mattes, shimmer, sparkle, and pearl finishes.  This take-anywhere palette includes 15 must-have shadows organized into three provocative collections: The Ingenue, The Icon, and The Bombshell.  Tucked beneath the mirror are three detailed get-the-look cards for easy step-by-step application."  This set contains 15 eye shadows, a Perfect Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner in Perfect Black, and a deluxe Shadow Insurance Eye Shadow Primer.
The eye shadows in this palette are as follows...

The Ingenue -
- Naive - medium champagne shimmer
- Ingenue - dirty medium gold shimmer
- Innocent - deep brown satin with gold shimmer
- New In Town - medium gold shimmer
- Casting Couch - deep rich brown with gold sparkle

The Icon -
- Pink Diamond - pale pink satin with subtle silver shimmer
- Icon - medium rose with silver shimme
- Divorcee - deep warm brown with silver shimmer
- Hopeless Romantic - medium warm plum with subtle silver shimmer
- Primadonna - deep cool plum with pink shimmer

The Bombshell -
- 7 Year Itch - pale gold with gold shimmer
- Bombshell - silver foil with silver sparkle
- Hollywood - charcoal gray with silver shimmer
- Maneater - medium cool bronze with silver and gold shimmer
- Beautymark - deep charcoal with silver sparkle

Perfect Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner - A creamy longwearing eyeliner that glides on with the ease of a liquid liner and locks down for eight hours of budge-proof, smudge-proof wear.  These high-impact pencils come in various waterproof shades ranging from the necessary classics to cutting-edge couture.  Each includes a flexi-firm, beveled smudger to allow a smoky blend or precise line.  Once applied, this eyeliner won't transfer, smudge, or budge, and unlike most other waterproof formulas, it even holds up to tears.  This creamy smooth liner glides on effortlessly never pulling, skipping, or slipping.
- Perfect Black - black

Shadow Insurance - An eye shadow primer guaranteed to go the distance.  This is your full-coverage insurance policy against all fading, creasing, melting, blurring, oil slicked, and hard-to-blend eye shadow accidents.  Our silicone based eye shadow primer transforms any eye shadow into a perfectly blended, color-drenched, intensified version of itself, then locks it down perfectly until you take it off.  This soothing formula evens out the skintone on your lids and smoothes lines while securing a barrier between the oils of your skin and your makeup, so no shadow catastrophes will ever happen again.

This might be the only major eye makeup purchase that I have to make for fall!  This palette has a full range of eye shadow shades.  I have been using The Ingenue right now, the golds and bronzes work very well with my fake tan.  I have played around with the rest of the shades and willw ear them much more in the fall and winter months.  My inital thoughts - none of the shades are matte, every shadow is shimmery to very shimmery.  If you don't like shimmery shadows, then just skip right over this palette, you will not like it at all.  The shadows all have nice pigmentation: with Innocent, Icon, Hopeless Romantic, and Maneater having the best.  The major downside of these shadows is that I had some fallout issues with the shimmer finishes.  I first used these shades with the Shadow Insurance instead of my normal Urban Decay Primer Potion.  I have never really liked Shadow Insurance, I have never been impressed with how it kept my eye makeup on.  The next time that I use these shadows, I will use them with my favorite eye primer and see if that helps to reduce the fall-out factor.

The how-to cards were quite helpful to get me started with this palette, I plan to try each look and review them individually over the next few weeks (like I did at the end of last summer with the Tarte True Blood palette).  Each look has a "day" and "night" look, they are similar to each other however in each case the "night" look is much more dramatic and harder to create.  I was initially hoping that the cards would provide a "day to night" look.  I envisioned starting out with the "day" look in the morning and then adding another eye shadow shade or a bit of line to make the "night" look.  However this was not the way that the looks were set up and I would need to really revamp the "day" look into a "night" look. 

This is a great palette for the fall season if you like dramatic eye makeup and lots of shimmer on your eyelids.  I will have more follow-up to this post within the next few weeks as I test out the suggestions on the "how to" cards!

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: