Saturday, March 9, 2013

Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer

I have finally finished off both my tubes of Too Faced Shadow Insurance and Urban Decay's Primer Potion and I wanted to try something totally different for my next tube of eye shadow primer.  I looked at every single product on the Sephora website and I decided that I wanted to try a brand that I have never used any type of primer or face makeup from before.  From that I stumbled on Smashbox, as I have only really used eye makeup and lip glosses from this company so far.  I have heard many good reviews of the Photo Finish Primer line from this company and it has been recommended many times on the Sephora website and has sold very well for many years now.  The original came out quite a while ago and over the years has spawned an entire line of Photo Finish primers to correct all skin issues and to use on all kinds of facial features.

I decided to order the Photo Finish Lid Primer and see what all the fuss was about.  I have been using it for about a week now and I am so happy with it that I am looking at what other primers in this line I will want to order as I need new products.  I was a bit hesitant to not order an eye shadow primer from Urban Decay since their eye shadow formulas tend to work best with their primer formula.  I was almost ready to order both of these formulas and then see if I really needed the Urban Decay formula.  I decided against it and I have not yet regretted my decision.

"An ultra-luxurious lid primer.  Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer creates the perfect canvas for eye shadow application. Wear this universal shade under shadow to increase longevity, or create the perfect nude eye by applying over the lid for an even tone.  The exclusive formula contains Phytomoist, a plant-based hyaluronic acid for ultimate moisture and amino acids for skin-smoothing benefits. Soft focus pearls help diminish the appearance of fine lines on the lids while the patented Qusome® delivery system ensures all ingredients penetrate the skin to deliver effective results."

This is a very effective eye shadow primer and it has worked with every eye shadow formula that I have used with it so far.  The formula applies easily with a doe-foot applicator, it has a liquid texture that is thinner than many other formulas that I have used.  It reminded me more of the NARS formula than either of those from Urban Decay or Too Faced.  I was a bit put off by the texture at first, I have used primers that have a thicker texture and haven't kept my eye shadow in place. 

The first time that I used this product, I put too much on each eyelid.  One pump of the product is enough product to cover both of my eye lids without a problem.  I apply the liquid and then I blend the product into the lid until there appears no difference between the tone of my skin and the product.  Smashbox has stated that this product can be used to anchor eye makeup or on its own.  I wouldn't use this product on its own, it would create a natural look but I still go after more color than this when I am doing a natural look.  So I will not be using it in this fashion, I will always be layering an eye makeup product over it.

How does it compare to all the other primers that I have used on my eyes?  It works better than the Too Faced formula and performs comparable to the Urban Decay and NARS formulas, my two favorite that I have used so far.  It dries quickly and without any excess residue left on the lid.  I can easily apply either powder or cream eye shadow formulas over it and all my products have blended well so far and then stayed in place for the rest of the day.  I love that this product will anchor the fickle Urban Decay Midnight Cowboy eye shadow shade, this shade has the worst fall out of any eye shadow shade that I have ever used but I just love the color so much and I actually use through an entire product and then go right out and purchase another one right away.  I experience very little fall out even with this fickle shade, a few pieces of glitter will dislodge from my eyelid throughout the day but the same happened when using the Urban Decay Primer Potion.  I am very happy with the performance of this product and I have no need to also order a tube of the Urban Decay formula to use with certain shadow shades.  In addition, this formula removes easily with the use of eye makeup remover and doesn't leave any leftover residue on my lids.  I have been very happy with this formula so far!

This is one of my first face products from Smashbox and I am very happy with it.  When I am running low on primer and tinted moisturizer, I know that I will look harder at the products in this brand.  I am very excited to use more primers from the Photo Finish line and see if the results from those are as good as the results that I got from this eye primer.

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: