Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pantone Color of the Year 2013 - Emerald

I am not pretty much done in my head with 2012 and am ready to move onto 2013 and start checking out the newest looks and trends of the spring season.  The Pantone Color of the Year for 2012 was a bright tangerine color that I completely hated and basically ignored for the whole year, however the color choice for this year is a very different story for me.  The Pantone Color of the Year for 2013 is one of my favorite colors already, I love emerald and I wear clothing and accessories in this color all the time.  And now I can start mixing it into my beauty product routine, there are some visions of emerald manicures and eye makeup colors in my head already!

First of all...what is Pantone?  "Pantone LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of X-Rite, Incorporated, is the world-renowned authority on color and provider of color systems and leading technology for the selection and accurate communication of color across a variety of industries. The PANTONE® name is known worldwide as the standard language for color communication from designer to manufacturer to retailer to customer.  In 1963, Lawrence Herbert, Pantone's founder, created an innovative system of identifying, matching and communicating colors to solve the problems associated with producing accurate color matches in the graphic arts community. His insight that the spectrum is seen and interpreted differently by each individual led to the innovation of the PANTONE MATCHING SYSTEM®, a book of standardized color in fan format.  Since then, Pantone has expanded its color matching system concept to other color-critical industries, including digital technology, textiles, plastics, architecture and contract interiors, and paint. Pantone continues to develop color communication tools for a variety of industries and aggressively adopt new digital technology to address the color needs of design and production professionals.", states the Pantone website in a company description. 

The Pantone website also provides a full description of the color and I loved it so much that I wanted to share it with all of you.  "Emerald, a vivid verdant green, enhances our sense of well-being further by inspiring insight as well as promoting balance and harmony.  Most often associated with brilliant, precious gemstones, the perception of Emerald is sophisticated and luxurious. Since antiquity, this luminous, magnificent hue has been the color of beauty and new life in many cultures and religions. Also the color of growth, renewal and prosperity, no other color conveys regeneration more than green. For centuries, many countries have chosen green to represent healing and unity.  The most abundant hue in nature, the human eye sees more green than any other color in the spectrum," said Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute®. "As it has throughout history, multifaceted Emerald continues to sparkle and fascinate. Symbolically, Emerald brings a sense of clarity, renewal and rejuvenation, which is so important in today's complex world. This powerful and universally-appealing tone translates easily to both fashion and home interiors."'

I am not looking to use this color in decorating my home but I will be adding much more emerald hues to my wardrobe and I think that my first big purchase of this color will be either a new pair of flats or a great purse.  Sephora is as inspired by this color as I am, they will be launching a full collection from their House brand later on this year.  I am not a huge user of the Sephora Collection color products but being able to find some great hues in this color will inspire me to try a bunch of products from this collection.

As of right now, we will be waiting at least a few more months for that collection and Sephora has decided to tide us over by putting up a list of their best emerald shades in all kinds of makeup items.  The first product that caught my eye is the Illamasqua Nail Varnish that is offered in this shade, Nomad.

"A nail varnish.  Leave your mark with bold, rich, vibrant colors that stand out. The formula is hard wearing and chip resistant and contains individual finishes from matte to high gloss. Apply two coats for high intensity and use with Illamasqua Nail Base Coat and Illamasqua Nail Top Coat for the perfect finish. Make a statement and talk with your hands!"  Nomad is a bright jade cream polish with a glossy finish.  I must own this shade and start off my emerald obsession off right!

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: