Friday, December 21, 2012

Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb

One of my newest perfume obsessions is one that has been on the market for several years now and has been a consistent best seller at Sephora, Flowerbomb by Viktor and Rolf.  I remember vaguely when this fragrance was first released, I tried it sometime in the warm weather and passed over it since I then decided it was too strong and spicy for that time of the year.  As it often happens, I wanted to go back and try it again when it is would be more appropriate but I ended up passing over it for all the new fragrances that had been released in the fall months.  I remembered that it was a spicy floral, not a top choice of mine so I often skipped over it for fragrances that were more on the pure floral side.

I ended up trying this fragrance out again last fall, a sample was included with an order that I made from Sephora.  I first tried it right after Labor Day and it was still too strong to wear at that point.  In October, I returned to the sample and used it every day for about a week.  Yet I was still undecided on my opinion of it.  Obviously, I loved it enough to keep wearing, if I would have hated it then it would have ended up in the trash can after three wearings (I always try to wear a fragrance three times before I decide if I will purchase a large bottle or not).  After using through the whole sample, I knew that I really liked it and wanted to get my hands on at least another sample or a small bottle of the fragrance.  Right around this time, Sephora offered a good sized bottle of this fragrance as their 100-point BI perk and I jumped at the chance to get more of this fragrance.  I have been using this small bottle for the past month and now I have collected my thoughts and made decisions on this fragrance.

Flowerbomb is the type of fragrance that it took me a longer amount of time than usual to fall in love with, but I fell harder for it than I have had for many fragrances on the market.  The spice notes in this fragrance set it apart from the rest of the florals on the market and make it much harder to wear, this fragrance is on the stronger side and works best at night or in a professional environment.  This is not a floral that I would wear with a sundress on a casual day.  This is fragrance that works best with stilettos...

The Sephora website carries all the sizes of this fragrance and many matching body products.  "This floral explosion releases a profusion of flowers that has the power to make everything seem more positive. Magically evocative notes immediately awaken your deepest senses, giving you the impression of living life in your own secret garden, away from reality. Sambac jasmine, centifolia rose, cattleya orchid, and ballerina freesia bloom on a base of patchouli."

The notes of this fragrance are: Sambac Jasmine, Centifolia Rose, Cattleya Orchid, Ballerina Freesia, Patchouli.

This fragrance starts out soft and floral, the first few sprays of it are very similar to many other floral fragrances and it made me wonder why this one was considered to be so unique.  After the initial drydown, the Jasmine, Rose, and Patchouli notes come out and settle on the skin.  The Rose fades out after several hours and the Jasmine and the Patchouli are left and these are the two notes that I can smell on my skin the rest of the day.  The fragrance becomes much spicier and more unique as the heart notes come out and it dries down. 

This fragrance is a combination of white and pink florals, the pink florals smell the best on my skin but the white florals makes the fragrance last for more than 12 hours on me.  This combination is the best of both floral worlds for me and I love how this fragrance was crafted and came together.  this fragrance will be one that I wear in my current profession and then later on when I graduate with my my masters degree.  I will need to buy a full bottle of this, however once I finish up my large sample of this, we will be heading into spring and I wouldn't be wearing this fragrance at that time of the year.  I am aiming to buy a new bottle of this next July or August and to have the room cleared off on my bureau to start wearing it at the end of September.  I may have found a new fragrance to introduce into my elite list of ten favorite fragrances!

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: