Saturday, September 29, 2012

MAC MAC and Marilyn Monroe

Earlier this week, the much-anticipated MAC and Marilyn Monroe collection was released onto their website and will hopefully be in the stores October 4th.   I see that MAC is continuing with the trend of doing collaborations and now I really see no end in sight for the collaborations.  Overall, I like the collaborations but I am getting sick of seeing at least two new ones a season for the past year.  So far, the collaboration that I was most excited about was that of the MAC and Carine Roitfeld and I must say that this collection is the only other one that got me as excited as that one.  I have been seeing pictures of this collection for the past few weeks and I excited for so many of the limited edition color products found in this collection!

So far the collection is only available on the MAC website so that is where I will be pulling all of my information from.  I am anticipating that I will have to pre-order any item that I really want from this collection as this seems to be the last big fall collection from MAC and I know that so many people are obsessed with Marilyn Monroe and will buy almost any type of item that she is pictured on.  I know that I will be adding items to next month's Most Wanted list while I am looking at this collection today. 

The overall collection description.  "Pure platinum Hollywood glamour.  Channel the legend's luster and sex appeal in a colour collection distinctively Marilyn.  It's everything you need to capture the MM look.  Specially designed packaging features imagery from The Black Sitting.  Limited edition."  The Black Sitting took place in 1956 and is one of the most famous (if not the most famous) photo sessions that occured between Monroe and photographer Milton Greene.  I know that everyone will recognize some of the photos from this sitting as soon they look at the packaging for the products in this collection.

This collection contains products and shades for every single facial feature and a series of new nail polish shades.  Of course, I am most excited for the lipstick shades, I believe that I already see a red shade and we all know how much I love MAC red lipsticks and especially those MAC lipsticks that come in special edition packaging!

Here is the MAC and Marilyn Monroe collection!

Marilyn Monroe Large Eye Shadow - Highly pigmented powder in a special compact featuring a black and white photograph of Marilyn.  Shades in shimmering metallics and diamond tones for silver screen allure.  Applies evenly, blends well.  Limited edition.
- How to Marry - soft white
- Preferred Blonde - pale champagne beige
- Silver Screen - true silver
- Showgirl - dark blue gray

35 Lash - Slightly more dramatic length.  Provides eye-opening fullness toward the centre of the eye.  If properly cared for, lashes can be reshaped or adorned if desired.

Marilyn Monroe False Lashes Extreme Black - Fashionably false in look, but honestly real, this mascara's key benefits of volume and curl are matched by a dramatic end look.  The unique edge: the ultra-thickening formula in combo with the plush-'em-up action of its unique double lush brush.
- Extreme Black - deep dark black

Marilyn Monroe Penultimate Eye Liner - A liquid pen-style liner that provides the ultimate, precise, bold line in a rich, deep carbon black shade.  Goes on fluidly, in one stroke, to achieve any style of of eye line.

Marilyn Monroe Penultimate Brow - A liquid pen-style marker for colouring and styling the brows to a well-defined, natural look.  Easy to control.  Tapered tip provides precision and helps to fill in and perfect the brows.  Flow-through, quick-drying formula means no smudges.  Longwearing.

Marilyn Monroe Brow Finisher - A slim-line, wax-style grooming tool specially formulated to shape and hold the brows, providing them with a sheer, slick, polished, and conditioned-looking finish.  Smooth, non-sticky, easy to use.

Marilyn Monroe Eye Kohl - Two soft-on pencil liners that line, define, and shade eyes with rich colour - in the intense black of Smolder and the pure white matte of Fascinating.  Ophthamologist tested.
- Smolder - intense black
- Fascinating - intense matte white

Marilyn Monroe Lipstick - The world, and your lips, can never get enough of Marilyn.  Colour plus texture with shades in rapturous reds and a sensual warm nude.  Special packaging features a black and white photogrpah of the legend.  Limited edition.
- Pure Zen - frosted warm nude
- Scarlet Ibis - bright orange red
- Love Goddess - midtone pink red
- Charmed I'm Sure - dark true red
- Deeply Adorned - deep scarlet

Marilyn Monroe Dazzleglass - Lip colour with large particle pearls reflect and refract light to mimic the brilliance of quartz and opal crystal.  Wear alone, or layer over Lipstick or Lipglass for dramatic effect.  Vial features a photograph of Marilyn.  Limited edition.
- Little Rock - soft sheer white with pearl
- Phiff! - sheer yellow peach

Marilyn Monroe Lip Pencil - Designed for shaping with a smooth, creamy texture perfect for lining or filling in the lip.  Long-lasting and available in a selection of reds that evoke Marilyn Monroe at her iconic best.
- Redd - clearly red
- Cherry - vivid bright bluish-red
- Beet - vivid reddish-pink

Marilyn Monroe Powder Blush - Channel Marilyn Monroe's luster and sex appeal in colour for cheeks and face.  Satin or matte finishes - in a special compact featuring a black and white photogrpah of Marilyn.  Limited edition.
- Legendary - pale soft coral
- The Perfect Cheek - neutral pink beige

Marilyn Monroe Beauty Powder - It's everything you need for flawless MM skin in a special compact featuring a photograph of Marilyn.  Delicately tinted in a sheer pearl peach.  Apply as a highlight, soft blush, or overall finish.  Limited edition.
- Forever Marilyn - sheer pale peach highlighter

Marilyn Monroe Nail Lacquer - Nothing says Hollywood glamour like gorgeous, high gloss colour inspired by the woman who defined 20th century beauty.  Special packaging features a photograph of Marilyn.  Limited edition.
- Rich, Rich, Rich - glittery gold
- Kid Orange - coral
- Flaming Rose - true red
- Stage Red - dark berry red
- Vintage Vamp - rich deep retro wine

Ok so there is a lot going on in this collection!  First a few overall thoughts.  My inital reaction when checking out these products was that this collection is going to sell out instantly.  Between all of the people who love Marilyn Monroe to all of the people who love MAC to all of the people who just love makeup, the shades and products featured here are going to appeal to so many that this collection will be gone within days of hitting the counters.  Not only is this one of my favorite MAC collections of this whole year, the shades are right on trend and all of them are completely wearable.  This is one of of the strongest collections from MAC all year.

The products and shades in this collection will mostly be used to create a red lip look with a shimmery eye, whether neutral or silver.  If the red lip look is not your style, then I can confidently state that you will still leave the counter with some lip products, as there is a great nude lipstick shade offered and two very pretty Dazzleglasses.  To start with, I will be looking at the Lipsticks.  My top choice (as you all knew that it would be) is Charmed I'm sure, I love this bright red and will wear it all the time.  The nude hue is too wamr for me and therefore I will skipping over that shade and looking for the more dramatic hues from this collection.  In addition to Charmed I'm Sure, I will also want to pick up the following reds: Scarlet Ibis and Deeply Adored.  Scarlet Ibis is more on the coral side than any red that I own but I still like it and hope that it will work for me, Deeply Adored is a great deep red to round out my lipstick picks.  I can live without the Dazzleglasses and I don't used Lip Pencil so I will be chasing down the Lipsticks mostly.

Onto eyes and face.  The eye shadows are pretty but nothing amazing or unique.  I am sure that all of these shades have a duplicate in the MAC permanent range and they are not worth a big fuss for me to try and get.  That being said, if they are at the counter, I would purchase Silver Screen and Showgirl to use as highlighters.  Both of the Kohls are part of the permanent collection and I already own Smolder (though I do recommend it highly and encourage all of you to buy it!), as is Penultimate.  The mascara is part of the regular line as are the false eye lashes.  The eye makeup doesn't grab as much as the lipstick shades.  Neither of the blushes nor the Beauty Powder are of any interest to me either and I will be skipping over all of them.

The last part of the collection are the Nail Lacquers, a rather dicey formula.  MAC released a permanent line up of lacquers late in the summer and I have been told that the quality issues are much reduced as of the introduction of that line.  I still have not taken my chances yet on this formula however I love the bottles so much for this line that I think that I will be trying them soon.  Flaming Rose, Stage Red, and Vintage Vamp are great reds and I own few cream red nail polishes and need to add at least one or two to my collection!

I love this collection and all the reds in it and if you are like me then get your pre-order in because these shade will fly off the counters!

photo courtesy of MAC

No comments: