Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bath and Body Works Malibu Heat

Malibu Heat is the newest fragrance from Bath and Body Works and I have been excited about the release every since I first smelled the small lotion that was available before the fragrance was released.  I use tropical body product fragrances all year round, they help to keep my mood up during the depths of winter.  Being a huge Jimmy Buffet fan, tropical body products help me look forward to summer nad beach and allow me to have a bit of Margaritaville with me all the time!  Malibu Heat is the perfect way to add more tropical scents to my collection and I find this scent to be very unique among the rest of the summer scents that are on the beauty product market today.  This scent has a coconut milk note in it but when combined with the orange scent, it creates a crisp tropical scent that is easy for many people to wear.

Bath and Body Works describes this fragrance as "a fresh blend of juicy pineapple, California orange, and creamy coconut milk inspired by hot pink sunsets and twenty-seven miles of beautiful beach".  This is one of the few coconut scents that is not reminscent of sun-tan lotion and therefore can be worn by ladies who doesn't always worship the scent of coconuts.  On my skin, this starts out smelling very strong of the orange and then fades down to a mixture of the coconut and the pineapple scents, I love the way that the lotion dries down and provides just a light hint of coconut on my skin. 

The top notes of the fragrance are: Fresh Mandarin, Juicy Orange, Crisp Pear, Succulent Pineapple.  The heart notes are: Orange Blossom, Lily of the Valley, Coconut Water.  The base of the fragrance is: Coconut Milk, Creamy Vanilla, Sandalwood, Sunny Musk.  I don't smell any of the floral notes in this fragrance and I was surprised to see the Orange Blossom and Lily of the Valley notes in the fragrance.  Neither of the floral notes come out on my skin at all in the body products.  The Orange Blossom note only comes out when I tried the Fragrance Mist, the only product that I didn't like from the collection.  The body products are a great tropical scent on my skin but the Fragrance Mist just smells slightly tropical, with a hint of Orange Blossom that doesn't work well with my skin chemistry.
This fragrances comes in the traditional body products; the Fine Fragrance Mist, the Shower Gel, the Body Lotion, the Triple Moisture Body Cream, and the Glowing Body Scrub.  I first bought the Glowing Body Scrubs with the Wild Garden Collection scents and I am very happy that Bath and Body Works is beginning to offer scrubs in more fragrances than they have in recent years.  I have already bought the Shower Gel, Body Lotion, and Triple Moisture Body Cream and I plan to purchase it in the scrub within the next few weeks.  This scrub will work very well to complement the self tan that I will be building over the next month or two.

This fragrance comes in one product that is unique to it, the Malibu Heat Surf Waves Hair Mist.  "Our Surf Waves Hair Mist with mineral-rich Sea Salt adds a sexy texture to hair and gives you the perfect beach blown 'do.  This special formula leaves hair feeling soft and lightly scented - never sticky or shiny!"  Why wouldn't we want our hair to be shiny?  Is there something that I am not understanding about this product?  I am interested in this product and am glad that Bath and Body Works seems to be expanding their Signature Collection product line but the description reads exactly like the wave spray from the True Blue Spa Malibu Waves that I have already bought and been using for a month now, why would I need to own both of these?  What is the point in having two tropical-scented beach wave sprays with the same active ingredients?  I would be much more likely to buy the Malibu Heat Surf Waves if I didn't already own the True Blue Spa version of the spray.

Lastly, this product is available is a lip gloss.  It is a sheer nude with a hint of gold shimmer.  It is a pretty shade in the tube but it is too warm and it will completely wash my skin out.  I will be skipping over the lip gloss in this collection even though it smells fantastic.

I have found a new scent to use all throughout the summer and well into the winter months.  This is one of my favorite Bath and Body Works releases of the past few months and I hope that it is a permanent addition to their fragrance lineup.

photo courtesy of Bath and Body Works

No comments: