Tuesday, May 22, 2012

MAC Hey, Sailor! Colour Collection - Lips and Nails

I saved the best for last!  I have been looking forward to the lip products in Hey, Sailor! since I first heard about the collection months ago, my first thought that was that I would find a great new red lipstick shade with the release of this collection.  And I was right...the first piece that I wanted when I saw pictures of this collection is the Lipstick in Red Racer.  A new red lipstick from MAC in the nautical packaging is just too god for me to pass up and I can't wait to buy a tube of this shade!

"Set sail this summer with a colour collection inspired by the glam of vintage pin-ups girls.  Go overboard with the never-ending colours of Pro Longwear Lip Pencils, Zoom Waterfast Lash, Lipglass, and more!  Limited edition."  It goes without saying that the Lipsticks will be my top choice from this collection however MAC has included a full variety of lip products including both Lipglass and the limited edition Sun Tints lip balms.  I have decided to group the nail polish shades in with the lip products since many of the shades complement each other and I was inspired by the Fashion Sets collection that came out earlier this spring and I admired the way the display was set the last time that I was at the MAC counter in my Macy*s.

Lips and nails from Hey, Sailor!...

Hey, Sailor! Lipstick - Colour plus texture for the lips.  Stands out on the runway.  Simmers on the street...or at sea!  Packaged in blue and white stripes, it's a match to everything Hey, Sailor!.  Limited edition.
- Sail La Vie - bright midtone orange
- Salute! - neutral peach
- To Catch a Sailor - highly frosted tan
- Red Racer - bright yellow red

Hey, Sailor! Lipglass - Designed to be worn on its own, over Lip Pencil or Lipstick, Tinted Lipglass is the perfect product for creating shine that lasts.  It's pigmented, very shiny, and can impart subtle or dramatic colour.  Limited edition Lipglass is packaged in blue and white stripes; it's a match to everything Hey, Sailor!
- Cut Loose - white gold with pearl
- Orange Tempera - pale peach
- Blessedly Rich - pale coral
- Rivera Life - bright tangerine
- Send Me Sailing - bright orange red

Hey, Sailor! Suntints SPF 20 Liquid Lip Balm - A beach-bound essential.  Protects lips against sun, wind, and salt in summer's softest tint with luscious liquid shine.  Packaged in blue and white stripes, it's a match to everything Hey, Sailor!.  Limited edition.
- Sea Mist - peachy nude with multi-dimensional pearl
- Au Rose - poppy coraly pink with gold pearl
- Abalone - see through hot pink with no pearl

Hey, Sailor! Pro Longwear Lip Pencil - A new generation of longwearing lip pencil technology.  Glides on fluidly and adheres instantly.  Defines the lips with an instant release of rich, saturated colour.  Prolongs the hours between re-application.  Transfer-proof.  Packaged in blue and white stripes, it's a match to everything Hey, Sailor!.  Limited edition.
- Saunter - pale nude beige
- Shore Leave - light vibrant coral
- Throw Me A Line! - bright true red

Hey, Sailor! Nail Lacquer - Revolutionary high gloss formula.  Provides no-streak/no-chip finish.  Contains conditioners and UV protection.  Packaged in blue and white stripes, it's a match to everything Hey, Sailor!.  Limited edition.
- Vestral White - creamy white
- Touch of Red - bright yellow red

My favorite piece of the entire collection is the Hey, Sailor! Lipstick is Red Racer, I must own this lipstick and I don't care how much it resembles any other red that I own.  This is a great red shade that I will wear all the time, MAC makes some of the best red lipsticks that I own and I will never stop wearing red or buying MAC Lipsticks.  Red Racer is the only one of the lipsticks that I must own, I can skip over the other shades.  The Lipglass shades all look too warm for my skintone and the red in this product looks to be more of a orange red, a shade that has never flattered my skin.  I am interested in the Au Rose and Abalone shades from the Suntints but I have read on mulitple beauty blogs and online reviews that these are so sheer that they have next to no tint to them and are best for hydrating lips and not for shading them.  I will have to swatch these at the counter and then decide if I want to buy either of them. 

One of the odd products that I am considering is the Lip Pencil in the Throw Me A Line! shade, I am considering purchasing it to wear underneath the Red Racer Lipstick to keep it on all day.  Lastly, I do like the Touch of Red Nail Lacquer but this isn't the most unique shade and the MAC Nail Lacquer formulas have been all over the map with formula quality.  I have seen reviews of some shades that applied well and lasted for several days and then I have seen reviews of shades that chip and fade within a day.  I would be more likely to find a similar shade from Illamasqua or China Glaze than to buy the red polish in this collection.

I will be going to the counter right when the mall opens on Thursday morning so I can do some shopping from this collection.  As of right now, I know that I must buy the Lipstick in Red Racer, at least one of the gold eye makeup shades, and one of the bronzers.  I will be following up in the next few days with what I actually purchased and a review on all the products!

photo courtesy of MAC

No comments: