Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Vincent Longo Pressed Face Powder

The past few times that I have bought powder, I have been buying loose formulas.  In fact, I haven't used a pressed face powder in the past few years and I am beginning to miss the coverage and ease of the product use.  Especially after the last few times of spilling loose powder all over my outfit and having to change my shirt right before I am going out.  I have been thinking fondly of one of my former favorite pressed powders and I am plotting a full Vincent Longo order just for this product.  I first bought the pressed powder formula from Vincent Longo several years ago and I am relooking at it for next fall (all summer long I will use bronzer and have very little need for pressed powder).  My goal is to add the right pressed powder to my makeup collection and be able to create a no-makeup look from tinted moisturizer and pressed powder.

"One of the softest, lightest weight powders available in compact form.  By triple milling the powder and using real silk fibers, the powder becomes ultra fine and smooth to the touch.  The large mirrored compact is great for touching up your makeup on-the-go.  Blends completely into foundation and concealer, leaving no residue for a totally invisible finish.  Absorbs surface oils and sets foundation and concealer to maintain a smooth, matte canvas throughout the day.  Eye and cheek color glide-on over the pressed powder, color will not streak."  I am envisioning using this pressed powder formula for two major purposes; the first being for additional coverage over tinted moisturizer and the second being for a touch up product to use as needed throughout the day. 

Vincent Longo's website recommends the best usage of this product.  "Dab the Deluxe Velour Puff into the compact being sure to work the powder into the velour fibers.  Tap the puff into the palm of your hand to remove excess powder and starting with the undereye area, lightly press the powder into your skin.  Continue pressing as you move over your eyelids, up to your forehead, along your temples and cheekbones, down your nose and ending along your chin and jaw line."  I haven't used a puff for pressed powder since I was in high school and didn't know the value of a good set of makeup brushes.  I understand that using a puff is much easier for touch ups since then I wouldn't have to carry a brush around with me all day, however I bet that I will try it once with a puff and then go right back to packing a brush in my makeup bag.  I have also heard that using the puff gives more coverage and this type of use is recommended if you are using a pressed powder instead of foundation.  Personally, I find that using a puff makes the finish less natural on my skin and leaves excess powder all over my face.  Even though the company recommends one of their puffs, I will continue to use pressed powders with a fluffy face brush.

This product is currently available in six shades, one that is translucent and five that are tinted.  I use the Translucent shade since the rest are too dark for my pale skin.  The Translucent shade if the easiest work with and typically is most flattering shade of powder.  I have only been using translucent loose powders and I don't see myself starting to use tinted powders anytime soon, I never find tinted powders to look very natural or flattering.  With the exceptions of bronzers, I never use tinted powders and have never found a way to make them work for my skintone. 

I am not currently shopping for a pressed powder but I just wanted to write up how much I liked this powder the last time that I bought and wanted to see if the shades and formula were still the same.  I still don't think that I will ever pressed powder exclusively but I want another product to take with me in my bag and for when I don't have the patience to deal with loose powder in the mornings.

photo courtesy of Vincent Longo

No comments: