Saturday, May 26, 2012

OPI Summer 2012 Collection - The Amazing Spiderman

Last week, we saw the new Benefit set that was created for the new Snow White and the Huntsman movie that will be coming out on the first day of June.  One of the other movies this summer that proves to be a huge release is the new The Amazing Spiderman movie.  I saw the first movie but I haven't see any of the subsequent movies so I doubt that I will go and see this film but I will be more than happy to check ou the new OPI series of polishes that have come out for the release weekend.  I am not surprised that OPI has teamed up with the film since they created a collection for The Muppets movie from last holiday season.  Personally, I was more excited about the Muppets movie but I am always excited about new nail polish collections!

This collection is another one that is not considered a typical summer shade collection, the range of shades is all over the place in this collection.  We have brights, pales, deeps, and then one top coat with the crackle finish.  I immediately groaned when I saw the crackle finish top coat, I am so sick of these crackle finish polishes and I thought that trend was on the way out when I saw these polishes on the Sale rack at Ulta and I can't believe that I am seeing yet another one of these.  When is this awful trend ever going to end?!

The first polish that we are going to look at is the only pale shade in this collection, My Boyfriend Scales Walls.  This polish is pale, creamy white.  This shade just showed up in the newest MAC collection and I can see that we are going to be seeing hues like this all summer.  I have never really used white polishes unless I am cerating designs on my nails.  I will be skipping over this shade since I will barely ever use it. 

The bright polishes are slightly less to my liking.  The first shade is my "favorite" of the bright shades, Your Web Or Mine? is very pretty but it leans too much to the warm side for me to find it flattering.  This shade is a warm coral pink with a frost finish, we have seen this shade so many times over the years from OPI and I have never liked it.  This shade would be very pretty against a tan for someone with a warmer skintone, I will never be able to pull this shade off.  The second bright shade is even was, this is a bright orange.  I have never even liked bright orange polishes on someone else and I would never wear a shade like this.  I klnow that oranges are very popular right now but this is not a shade range for me.  This shade is named Call Me Gwen-ever and is a creamy medium orange.  This shade almost reminds me a bit more of a pumpkin than a super bright orange but I still don't like it.  I can't wear either of these shades and so far this collection is not working very well for me.

The deeper tones are the best shades of the collection for my skintone, I would be more likely to buy these shades and then put them aside until the beginning of fall.  Into the Night is my favorite polish from the collection, it is a deep blue shade that will be perfect this fall.  The shade is a medium blue shade with a metallic finish, it is lighter than most of the navy polishes that I own and I have no shades like this in my collection already.  I will be adding this blue to my polish collection.  The second of the deeper shades is Just Spotted the Lizard, a medium toned gold with a green cast.   This polish has a metallic finish to it and remains me very much of the Peridot polish that Chanel released last year.  This shade isn't technically a deep tone but it fits better with this area of the collection than any other.  I really like this shade and I will most likely purchase a bottle of it, this one I would wear in the summer so this is one shade in the summer collection that I would actually wear in the summer.  Number One Nemesis is the last of the deeper tones in the collection, it is deep charcoal shimmer that will be a great neutral in the fall months.  i am planning on purchasing all three of the deeper toned shades from this line.

Lastly, we have the crackle top coat.  This type of finish tends to give me a headache everytime that I see it on someone.  I actually wanted a bottle of the crackle when it was released with the Katy Perry collection and it was only available in a black shade.  The combination of all types of shades with the crackle finish just tends to annoy me now and I wish that this trend would just end.  That being said, I will not be buying this shade.  Shatter the Scales is a deep blue green shimmer that is said to look like the scales of the lizards.  I like the thought of this shade but this shade is just completely ugly, it is destined for the sale rack within the next month or two. 

The only shades that I like are the deep toned polishes in this new collection.  Only the gold shade can be worn now, the other two shades will have to be held until the fall months because they don't really work with my current line-up of summer polishes.  I wonder how many other movie tie-ins we will be seeing this summer...

photo courtesy of OPI's page on Facebook

No comments: