Monday, October 1, 2012

Kate Walsh Billionaire Boyfriend

I have been interested in the Boyfriend scents by Kate Walsh ever since it first came out.  I had tried it out in Sephora right after the initial release however I was very on the fence about the fragrance and I decided that I would not be purchasing it that day.  At this point, I have so much perfume that I don't purchase any fragrance that I am not in love with as I don't even enough room on my bureau for all the fragrances that I already own and love.  I have stated many times that perfume samples from Sephora are one of my best friends as I can try a fragrance several times and then decide how much I love it and if it should occupy a place on my bureau.

The last time that I ordered from Sephora, I added several free perfume samples from the list in my cart.  My goal when I looked at the fragrances was to pick scents that I have never smelled and have never had fragrances from these lines.  We already looked at the Cartier sample that I ordered and now we are going to look at the other one today.  Kate Walsh Billionaire Boyfriend was the sample that I was most interested in really trying out as I was still on the fence about the original fragrance.  I like the original and will admit that it is very unique but I still didn't know if I would get much use from the scent.  Billionaire Boyfriend is the newest fragrance from this company and I believe that it came out sometime over the spring or summer.

First I looked at a bit of background on the Boyfriend fragrance line as I have never owned a fragrance from them before.  This line was created by "Private Practice" star Kate Walsh and she was inspired by the longing that she would feel for her boyfriend's scent after he left.  She created a scent that would allow her to smell this fragrance long after he left.

"Private jets, superyachts, diamonds, and roulette.  It's a dream of wealth and glamour where every whim is indulged.  Imagine a vintage convertible whisking you down the Amalfi Coast to an elegant dinner, taking you to a time and place where a gentleman would never let a lady pay.  Live the fantasy with Billionaire Boyfriend.  Indulgent and sensual, this floral-oriental opens with succulent fruit notes, including bergamot and tangerine wrapped in lush green leaves.  The scent intoxicates asit blooms into a provocative blend of black jasmine, velvet orchid, gardenia, and a touch of patchouli flower.  As the fragrance dries down, it exudes an addictive, sensual warmth and a sense of wealth with hints of vetiver, cistus, sandalwood, and golden amber.  Even the Billionaire bottle is one of a kind: opulent, rare, crafted, and disruptively beautiful.  Inspired by a special reserve champagne bottle, the antiqued platinum-mirrored finish exemplifies the wealth and glamour of the old world atelier."

The notes of this fragrance are: Bergamot, Tangerine, Green Lush Leaf, Black Jasmine, Black Velvet Orchid, Gardenia, Patchouli Flower, Amber, Cistus, Vetiver, Sandalwood.

This fragrance is slightly more feminine than the original, the floral notes appear on my skin and are the strongest when I wear it.  When I first apply the fragrance, the Bergamot note is the strongest but quickly fades down (about fifteen minutes in total) and then the florals come out.  The Black Jasmine and Black Velvet Orchid notes come out on my skin and stay on for the next few hours.  After about an hour, the Amber and Sandalwood notes begin to become evident and mix with the florals, making the fragrance stronger and on the creamier side.  This scent fades a bit quicker than I thought it would on my skin, it goes from strong and lovely to completely faded within an hour after the base notes come out.

I liked this fragrance when I tried it out however I am still not sure that I would purchase this one either.  I don not find this scent as unique as the original, this one contains more florals than the original and I find it much more feminine than the original.  I have many fragrances that contain Jasmine or Black Orchid and I would be more willing to wear one of these than this one if this was the type of scent that I was going for.  For the uniqueness aspect, I would buy the original fragrance before this one as it is warmer and muskier and isn't quite so floral. 

I was a bit let down with this version of the Boyfriend fragrance, it is nice but nothing that I need or couldn't be found in another fragrance that I own.  Thank god for Sephora and all the perfume samples that they offer...

photo courtesy of Sephora

No comments: